Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pond experiment question
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SEVE

PostPosted: 2003.03.31(Mon)9:29    Post subject: Pond experiment question Reply with quote

I'd like to try something this summer and would like feedback from experienced Pond people. I'm a total Pond rookie and would like to try what I outlined below before I take the plunge into digging up the back yard.

I have an old kiddie wading pool (not sure how many gallons - about 5 feet across) that I would like to keep outside this summer (I live in Connecticut, USA). My plan would be to create some room in my tanks and put some White Cloud minnows and some Endler's Livebearers in there and see if I can get them to breed / just see what happens. (Endler's breed no problem in one of my 10 gallon tanks but no luck so far with the White Clouds).

I'm thinking of throwing some gravel on the bottom of the pool and putting in Java Moss and Anacharis. I'd like to keep the equipment to a minimum if possible.

What is the minimum I'll need to make this work? An air stone with frequent H2O changes?

Can I get away without and Air Stone and/or Filter?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.31(Mon)19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine it can be done with frequent water changes. See the above thread about fantails for info about baby pools.
Also, you'll need to keep it COOL....in the shade.
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.31(Mon)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this too. Either Danios (would they work?) or possible some small native minnows, or some other minnow type. (need to figure this part out obviously...)

a 5 ft diameter pool filled to 8 inches deep comes to 98 gallons. Stuffing a foot of water into it gives you nearly 150 gallons. I don't think a couple dozen minnows would have much of a bioload impact at all.
More important seems to be temperture, I suppose the car port (no car) or a handy tree would suffice?

That algicide is an interesting issue.

Perhaps some sand would be a better option given the bottom area to cover?
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.01(Tue)19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to assume that you are not going to be making this permenant, because if you want to keep this thing up and running for more than the summer, you should definitly think about building a below ground permenant pond with a xvan or rubber liner. I don't see why the white clouds arent breeding in the 10g. I have bread whiteclouds in a 5g. And they breed like crazy in the 20g I have recently put them in. Just to keep the water from being stagnent you could put a small pond pump with a fountain, and just take the fountain fixture off, so it just gives a bubbling gushing flow of water. I would try to stay away from regular aquarium equipment, seeing how it is going to be exposed to the elements all summer. So a pond pump would stay submerged. Also you could put an inch of sand on the bottom and then fill the rest with loose gravel, that way the babies can get a secure place to hide, and the sand will prevent manythings from puncturing the bottom of the pond.
Jack
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.26(Sat)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people do keep ponds made from a kids pool up permanantly.
I would recommend a filter, possibly just a waterr feature. You can also buy filter kits that have the return water floe down a waterfall. I know you want to keep equipment to a minimum, but these look so cool.

The Funky Jack Homepage
Ignorance - My Band
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.26(Sat)17:10    Post subject: Temperature, predators Reply with quote

If you float some styrofoam in the pool the fish will have some shade and be proteced from predators.

PostPosted: 2003.04.26(Sat)17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always dig a hole , then put the pool in it. Also, along with styrofoam mentioned earlier, you might just take a piece of plywood or something of that nature and lay it across halfway for shade or maybe plant some lilly pads.
I would think heating will eventually become a problem, don't know though, never tried it.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: