Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I've Been Outsourced.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.12.07(Tue)14:48    Post subject: I've Been Outsourced. Reply with quote

Just because I need to rant....

As most of you know, I work at BestWestern hotels, in a reservation call center here in Glendale, AZ. There's another larger call center in Phoenix, but we all take reservations for all BestWesterns around the world. I've had this job since last June, and while it's not the best job, it pays well and it pays the bills.

And starting this January through May, every single employee of these two call centers, numbering 700 people, will lose their jobs. In short, the reservations centers have been outsourced to India and the Phillipines. Because I am part-time, I get no severance package, and my benefits, which just went up in price nearly double-fold, I'll lose when I do my job.

See, thus far management has told us that all reservation agents' last day will be May 15. Because they just opened the call centers in India and the Phillipines, and it will take a good few months to teach these new employees how to speak "street" English and get the general lingo down. Of course, this date is set in stone as the last date for ANY employee at the call centers. We can lose our jobs quicker if the new employees are able to get on the phones faster than anticipated.

For me, yes, this is one of those life-changing lessons that despite the hard work I put in, I am expendable. What gets me, other than the fact there are no jobs in Phoenix right now (even fastfood isn't hiring!), is that in a few months, some 700 people will be desperately searching for work. Most of us will have to go on unemployment, or seek welfare to make ends meet.

There are some people I know who have worked at BestWestern for the past 20 years. There are a handful who have worked for over 40 years, and these res agents' age ranging from late fifties to early sixties. A good number of them have health problems, and guess who is losing all their medical benefits as well? No one will cover a sixty-five-year old woman like Pam, whose hands have permanently curled nearly into a fist, and has to have a pencil held in her semi fist to even type anything.

So yeah, in the grand scheme of things, 700 people losing their jobs isn't anyhing. But for those 700, that's potential people on welfare the rest of America with jobs will be paying for. So on the off chance that's where I end up, a thanks already....I won't be on it for long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.07(Tue)14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, that really stinks... I really hate to hear things like that, and I really hate calling Dell's tech support and having to repeat myself 2-3 times so that I can be understood... really stinks...

if you don't mind my asking, what's your job experience, education level/degree, etc.?
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.12.07(Tue)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in college still, working on a bachelor's in biology. Worked at BestWestern, PetsMart, working at the Wildlife World Zoo currently, also did McDonald's a while back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
NOAH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.07(Tue)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

that just sucks tara. You have my sympathy ,and I understand completly about the benifit bull%@#$. My insurance at my job goes up regularly and it's not cheap, but there is no way make it without it? The fact that bussiness in our country hand out jobs to outside help so easily gripes my butt. Good luck finding another job?
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.07(Tue)17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taratron ,

You could move to Canada if want ??? Here in because and all across the country there's openings for just about anything ! You could also continue your studies throughout some of the best colleges/universities the country has to offer ! Think about it ? only downer is the cold weather where ever you go! I wish you luck in finding another job . and hope things turn out for the good !

ACE Very Happy
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.07(Tue)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry tara.. I hate how all the new immigrants are taking all the jobs because they will work for less. its horrible to see that. you have my sincerest apologies.
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.07(Tue)18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am truly sorry to hear that. My ex wife used to do that very job in Wichita, Kansas. It was a job she enjoyed.

Do whatever it takes to finish school...not all of the country is in bad shape. St Louis is thriving.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.07(Tue)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tara,

I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. I've been there before. I've done tech support. I've been layed off and on unemployment until it ran out. It sukcs, it's frustrationg, agrevating, and most of the negative emotion you can conjure. Hang in there. Just pay off as much as you can until you find something else / get laid off. If you can close out any debts do so. It will help SO much in the long run.

It's terribly sad how it hurts the "past the prime" people.

Keep your head up and keep looking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I hate how all the new immigrants

Immigrant workers are not the issue here. Her job is LEAVING the country.

They say it's good for the global economy. It probably is. I'm not convinced that it's short or medium term good for the American economy. One of the few princpals I got out of economics was you have to have money to spend money and to make it. Move jobs away instantly draws that cash out of the economy for us to spend like advertized suckers we are.

I'm surprised that more people don't bring up issues with WalMart of outsourcing jobs. They buy insane amounts good from China. Then they fight in our courts to keep sanctions off of China to keep the prices down. This is closing factories across America.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
weejoy
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.07(Tue)19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hate how all the new immigrants are taking all the jobs because they will work for less.

Did you see "Gangs of New York"? Your sentiments were shared in 1863.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.07(Tue)22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomrambler wrote:
I'm sorry tara.. I hate how all the new immigrants are taking all the jobs because they will work for less. its horrible to see that. you have my sincerest apologies.

First off, the company is OUT sourcing to another country. Has nothing to do with immigrant workers taking up jobs. If you want to blame someone blame the comapny itself for taking their business off American soil.

Secondly, I happen to be one of those immigrant workers taking up one of those jobs. More immigrants bust their humps to make a new life for themselves and their families, while you get Americans who slack off and collect welfare checks and food stamps, but still drive Lexuses and brand new SUVs. (I should know....one of them live on my complex) Many of my neighbors are Chinese and they work 8-12 hour days 6-7 days a week for very little money, just for the priviledge of having the freedoms that they do. Most Americans would howl if they had to work longer than 40 hours a week 5 days a week yet take for granted all the freedoms and priviledges they have. Do you think the 15 mexican immigrants died trying to get across the border because they were bored of a life of luxury? I think not.

Like I said, if you want to blame anyone, blame the companies who are so stingy that they can't bear to part with $7-8 minimum so that their centers can stay on American soil. Blame the rising cost of living expenses or better yet the people with little to no education who expect to be paid $10 an hour just because. Blame the power of money that will cause humans to destroy their own fellows without losing sleep at night. Whatever you do, don't blame the poor people who come across the border and who will work for whatever little money they can to put a roof over their heads and food on their table so they can enjoy the freedom of religion, speech, to read, study and whatever other things that people in this country take for granted.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: