Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Power filter media
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balduron
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.04(Sat)23:53    Post subject: DIY Power filter media Reply with quote

If you read my most recent post in diseases... then you saw that I had to remove the charcoal from the filter media. The tank got very cloudy after that. The lfs sugested this very pourous sponge looking stuff that fits around the plastic frame of the original filter media. My thinking is that this isn't working like I would like. Any suggestions on how to make my own power filter media would be great. I also looked at all the posts on filter media in here and am wondering how you go about not using charcoal? Is there a substnace that I can use and reuse that is better, and how to make it work in a power filter?

thanks for any help!!

Bald
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.05(Sun)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've every used charcoal for more than 2 weeks @ any time. I just use poly-fill quilt batting to take up the space. Not really "reuseable", but it's cheap. You could look into getting a replacement sponge for another filter and cutting to size.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Balduron
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.05(Sun)14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irons wrote:
I don't think I've every used charcoal for more than 2 weeks @ any time.

OK, Irons, please clarify that statement. did you stop using charcoal all together, or did youi change it and use a new batch??

Also, can you send me somewhere I can find out more about it, I am a little confused as to it's purpose. I have been buying a prepackaged media for my power filter, complete with charcoal and floss, but it is expensive, about $1.50 each ane I change them regularly, the package says 2 to 4 weeks. I have well water so I don't have chlorine so I just rinse them out in the tap(Bad idea or it's OK??) but I am looking for a way to reduce the cost on the media, I know that 3 to 6 bucks a month isn't that much, but if I can make it less, I would like to.

I am looking for a way that I might be able to make an efective filter media where I can put it together myself and have it be very efective.

Thanks for you comment Irons, any other help, links ect. would be great. although I have had this tank up and running for over a year now, I am just starting to figure out what I am suposed to do with it.

thanks again,

Bald
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.06(Mon)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charcoal can remove impurities and odors (from what I understand). It will also remove medication. It is not nessacary. The only time I use it is if I have something specific to remove.

For chlorine use a chlorine remover. I use "Stress Coat"

For filter media use poly-fill quilt batting. For rinsing it out, I just use warm tap water. If you are concerned about this just use your waste water during a water change. I general only rinse once and only one. AFter that I throw out and replace. 3-4 weeks.

Go to joannfabrics.com then quilting and look for Polyester Batting. That the stuff I use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Espeto
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.11(Tue)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

The Brazilian Version has this great solution for DIY filter media:
http://www.aquahobby.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9153&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I use DIY medias without charcoal on both my hang on filters!
It will worth to take a look at the pictures!
If necessary I can translate part of it! (even with my poor English Laughing Laughing )
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.11(Tue)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldnt have to use charcoal on a regular basis. I only used charcoal after medication to remove the residual chemicals in the water. How often do you do water changes? You check for ammonia and nitrite levels in your tank. You may have had a bacterial bloom from the medication killing your biofilter.
I like to use sponges they hold a lot of surface area for biofitration and when you rinse them out to reuse the they are already seeded with the needed bacteria. I always put a small sponge over the intake also for a prefilter to keep the large things out of the filter then you only have to rinse the prefilter weekly and the main only every few water changes.
Azrien
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.12(Wed)22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote an article back on Tropical Resources about this problem with power filters. I too hate having carbon attached to power filter media, but I do like to use carbon regularly.

Suggestion:
Obtain filter media bag
Purchase jar of carbon media (or any resin media of your choice)
Remove those filter media on plastic frames
Purchase open-cell foam/sponge large enough to fit your filter
Cut to size, then put into filter. This will be your mechanical and biological filtration.
Fill media bag with carbon, tie shut, also place in filter.

Ta-da! No more replacing of those expensive cartridges! The sponge can be rinsed in tank water to remove particulate waste, and because it doesn't get thrown out there will always be a good store of bacteria on the sponge. The carbon media bag can be removed during medicating and replaced after medicating. No fuss, no muss, and a lot of money saved on replacing the cartridges. You can even opt to use the charcoal only as needed.

For clarifying, the sponges/foams referenced are like those commonly used in AquaClear filters or canister filters. Here is a good product example: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24715;category_id=1941;pcid1=1965;pcid2=
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: