Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
So who is living in my live rock?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.04(Sat)10:47    Post subject: So who is living in my live rock? Reply with quote

There's 3 of them that I can see, 2 that are about this size and 1 that's much smaller and hiding in a crevice. The 2 larger ones are about a half inch across, and seem to be noctournal, they stretch out of the hole when the lights are out, and retreat when the light comes on. The one pictured also grabbed onto a loose piece of another plant that was floating around the tank.
Any idea what it is?
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.04(Sat)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an Aiptasia Anemone. You do not want those in your tank. I don't know much about them. I just know that they come from the live rock and that they are known to be pests in the marine aquarium. Here's a site talking about them and also how to control and eventually get rid of them:

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/aipatasia.htm
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.04(Sat)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike612 wrote:
That's an Aiptasia Anemone. You do not want those in your tank. I don't know much about them. I just know that they come from the live rock and that they are known to be pests in the marine aquarium. Here's a site talking about them and also how to control and eventually get rid of them:

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/aipatasia.htm

Thanks for the heads up. I will try to snag some peppermint shrimp to help get rid of them as the article states.
Smile
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.04(Sat)17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint shrimp don't always go for those anemeones. the way I got rid of the baby ones on my live rock was to cafuly inspect the live rock everyday and when I noticed one squirt a seringe full of boiling hot water strate at them. this completley destroys them. or if you don't want to do that get some joe's juice its some magical killing thing for aipitasia anemones.

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
HermeJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)0:26    Post subject: Lonely aiptasia Reply with quote

Both at my LFS and a 120 gallon reef tank at my school I've seen very large aiptasia growing (1-2 inches across at the tentacle base) that don't seem to bud and put all their resources into growing, and therefore aren't a nuisance. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: