Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Hood Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wei
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.01(Wed)14:31    Post subject: DIY Hood Questions Reply with quote

I've decided that I want to replace my stock lighting and thus my stock hood. I have a 29Gal it measures 30x18x12in. The current hood sits on top the tank lid with a glass piece that the light shines through, it only measures 4x29in. The entire opening on the top of the aquarium is 30x12in roughly by with the stock lid the light only shines through the middle in that 4x29section of glass.

So when I make my own lighting fixture, is it possible to just replace the stock lighting part of the top and have it shine through that 4x29in piece of glass? or should I just replace my entire top(light fixture and lid)?
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.02(Thu)9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ahsupply.com

www.hellolights.com

great diy sites. I prefer ahsupply
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.02(Thu)10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sort of equipment do you have? table saw, compound mitre? router? Smile

let me know, and I'll give you some ideas... Smile

I'm garbage at diy co2, but diy tops, or anything built out of wood, I'm your idiot! Smile
Wei
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.02(Thu)14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just about every wood tool or access to it. Do you have plans for a DIY hood for 29gal or just in general? Also I am new all this so I am not sure about pricing; is 65$ for just the electrical parts for a 2x55W fixture a reasonable price(no bulbs either)? seems kinda high to me... or it could be b/c I'm new at this.

The real question I was looking to get answered is do I need to replace my entire top of the aquarium or just the light. After reading at AHSupply I think that the 2x29in glass opening for the light to shine through is too small, right?
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.02(Thu)14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

wei,

1 sheet of 8x4x3/4 finish ply should be all the wood you need (homedepot usually has deals on A/C for cheaper, but their birch finish is usually in good shape and sells for around $25.00). You should actually have a some wood left over, so if you want to buy actual lumber to build the top (oak, cherry) you'll want to go to a woodshop, homedepot doesn't carry cherry and they are WAY overpriced on their poplar, oak, etc...

give me some info on what you're thinking for the top dimenson wise... Smile
Wei
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.02(Thu)15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK right now the top of the aquarium measures 29.2x11.2 in
the stock top(lid + light) is all plastic and only as a trip of glass that measures 19x4in for the light to sit on. Obviously I will have to replace the lid because that strip of glass is too small to house a 2x55W right?
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.02(Thu)15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you buy a retro-fit kit, satellite has the sunpaq, and attach it to your wood top... or you could get docking mounts and then conceal the fixture w/ the wood top...

also, an lfs will sell you an appropriate glass lid at those dimensions for around $15.00 to 20.00... (if you know the brand of your tank, that will help too but most lfses will let you test the glass top to make sure it fits, at least mine do Smile )

as for the dimensons of your top, that's totally up to you (well, all of this is really), you've got a tall, thinner tank, so you may want to keep your top's height at or below 6" ... otherwise you might look a little top heavy, again, it's up to you and what you think looks good...

also consider that a 6" top might not work for a fixture and docking mounts (I get mine this tues., I'll be able to tell you for sure then Smile )
Wei
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.02(Thu)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have any pictures or links to pictures of the possibilities?
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.02(Thu)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, yup, here you go...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/diy/canopy.shtml

there's really not much too it, it depends on how much work and time you want to put into it...

my suggestion to you would be to check out your lfs and get some ideas from them (I goto crate and barrel for furnature ideas Smile ) and then build on what they have...

a band saw (or jig saw) will come in handy as you'll want the back (or side) of your top to have openings for tubing, wires, etc. (esp if you have an "off-the-back" filter...

if you're not too handy w/ a router, some simply molding can give your top a decorative look...

I've always wanted to make a top w/ a cooling fan (like the ones you see on computer towers) to circulate air through the top... Very Happy

also, no matter what you do to the outside of the top (stain or paint), I'd paint the inside a white color to help w/ light reflection, though that may not do too much... anyway, good luck, and if you've got anymore questions... ask away!!! Smile
Wei
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.03(Fri)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to put this project on hold until finals are over. However I would like to see the light fixture that you got once you get it on tues.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: