Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Domino Damsel
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.30(Tue)15:51    Post subject: Domino Damsel Reply with quote

I have a Domino Damsel in my 75 gallon tank and he's really aggressive towards both the other inhabitants in the tank and also to me. When I put my hand in the water to scrape algae or just dirt of the walls, he comes towards my hand and tries to bite me. I don't want to get rid of him because he is one of my favourite fish in the tank. I know damsels are aggressive. I was thinking of maybe getting a little tank and maybe taking him out and putting him alone in this tank for a while. What size would somebody recommend? I don't want anything that's going to take up to much room. Just a small tank I could maybe fit on my desk. I have room for a tank maybe somewhere between 10 and 20 gallons on my desk.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.01(Wed)19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on his size a 15g would be good. I have a 1.5-2 inch long common clown in a 7.5g. but your main prob would be that you would have to wait for the small tank to cycle.(please don't add the damsel instantly as it is cruel) to speed up the cycle you could try getting the entire tank ready equitment wise then fill it up with your larger tanks water and add substrate from your larger tank and live rock. I have heard of many tanks only having a 3 day cycle doing this but all the water and sub and live rock must be added quickly to lower the amount of bacteria die off.

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.01(Wed)20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry, I would never add my damsel right away. I was thinking of just taking water and a live rock or two from my big tank and putting them in the small tank so that I don't have to wait too long.

thanks for your reply andrew

by the way, another site I posted this message on recommended that I set up either a nano cube or an eclipse 12. what would you recommend
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.02(Thu)3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I recon you could get away with a 12X12X12 inch tank about 7.5g. thats what I have and one of the fishes I was thinking of getting was a small damsel cause the clowns were really expensive (tank raised $42 but hes a good fish) oh and this idea just hit me. simply order a custom made tank with an overflow. simply place the smaller tank above your larger tank and hook it up with a small power head so that the larger tanks water is pumped up to the small tank then it overflows back into the big tank. basically like an overflow sump setup cept the small tank would be like the main tank and the larger one the sump. by doing this you wouldn't need to purchase any individual filtration or heating for the small tank or skimming and the tank would be instantly cycled and you wouldn't have to aclimitize your damsel to the new tank because it has the same water! amazing what one can think up when a small little bird is annoying you endlessly Laughing .

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.04(Sat)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info andrew. I think I'm just going to buy a new tank and take water and a couple of rocks from that tank and let the tank cycle for a while. I think it's easier that way because I don't really have the room to put that tank ontop of or underneath my big tank so I'll just set it up in my room, on my desk like I planned. Thanks again.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: