Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Vanishing reed fish.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cichlid man.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.25(Thu)13:25    Post subject: Vanishing reed fish. Reply with quote

I went into my local tropical fish shop about 3 years ago and thought what a nice clean fish room they had. I saw some lovely reed fish in a tank, there were about a dozon or so in there. I wanted a couple but didn't have enough money so I asked a guy to reserve them for me. About a couple of days later I reterned to find that there were none in the tank. I went to the desk and said that I reserved a couple of reed fish the other day and now I can't see them in the tank. I asked what had happened to them and wondered if he had moved them to another tank. he said "oh sorry I think they have all been sold." I didn't mind or complain and reterned home disappionted. The next time that I returned to the shop which was about a couple of weeks later I went to the same tank to see if they had any more in. The only fish in the tank was about 2 or 3 plecos and so I asked A guy in there when were they going to to order some more reed fish in. He said they weren't going to get any more in because they are too difficult to aclimatize into an aquarium, and are expensive to order. I went to have another look round the shop and saw that there were a few dead tetras behind some tanks and thought nothing of it. I also saw a squashed platy on the floor which must of jumped out and been stood on.
But this was nothing for what I was about to see! Shocked
I examined the tank the reed fish were previously in and noticed a gap between that tank and the one next to it. I plucked up the courage and looked in. Exclamation
To my horror I saw about 5 dried reed fish stareing at me. Shocked
This is when I thought.
"So thats where they went" Rolling Eyes
I went out of they shop without returning for a while.
About 2 months later I went back to find they were still there. I went to a woman who works there called jane who I know quite well and told her about the unoticed masicure.she replied. "OK then show me the eels".
I showed her and she said."YUCK, I'll tell Dave (the manager) to get rid of them"
I bought some cichlids or something from her and went home.
A few weeks later I returned and saw the dead reed fish were still there! Confused
I was comletely shocked that they still didn't clean them out after all that time.
Shocked Mabey it was hard to get at them as the tanks were so big and the gap so small, but this is still no exuse to leave them there for that period of time.
Recently I worked in this same shop for work experience as I new the people who worked here and like aquatic studies.
After a few days of working here there was a delivery of reed fish!
I thought nothing of it and forgot about the incident which occured a few years earlier. When I was asked to do the "rounds" (colecting dead fish after new arrivals) I saw a reed fish crawling on the floor. Panicing, I picked it up and it slid through my fingers like a snake. I was quite scared as I nearly dropped it.
I quickly put it back into the tank and went to lunch.
I came back after a few minutes and noticed two on the floor, one being nearly dead! After returning them to the tank I thought something had to be done about this. The tank was very long and wide but not very tall, the only cover over the top of this was a broken undergravel filter plate that didn't even fit. I asked the manager for a proper cover glass (condensation tray) but said he didn't have any and that he would order one in the next stock deliverly.
The next morning I turned up for work and saw no reed fish in the tank.
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.25(Thu)15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a scary story Shocked

And this is why you have to be careful of where you shop
Melanochromis

PostPosted: 2004.11.27(Sat)10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem in my shop of fish escapeing but now we have secure covers. You should of asked me as we have loads in our store, see you brov. Laughing
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.28(Sun)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad story...and we have a LFS here that is just as bad if not worse. I have never gone there and not seen at least half of the tanks with dead fish in them...some rotting and once saw about a 4" long catfish of some kind stuck in a plastic plant...all that was left was his skeleton. I asked the manager who was responsible for getting the dead fish out and she replied some guy comes in once a week and does it. Needless to say I have never bought a fish from them, and never will. To make it worse they are one of the largest and most well known LFS store here, just not one I will ever buy from.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: