Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ich
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 2003.03.30(Sun)7:52    Post subject: ich Reply with quote

Hi Pat, I have a regal tang that seems to get a small ammount of ich every couple of weeks, I do have copper on hand and will do a fresh water dip with copper added, only as a last resort. I do not want copper added to my tank. Here are some of the things that have been working for me, I can't do garlic in the food because he eats, but not that much and not very well either although he is very actice and seems to be healthy, so it wouldn't work for me. What I have done is 25% water changes twice weekly, raised the temp to nearly 80 degrees and this is truly amazing the tang now goes into the corner that my cleaner shrimp is in and he gets cleaned regularly, I call it the car wash as all my fish now go to the shrimps corner and I can see the shrimp get on them and clean away! I wasn't aware of the lower salinity as previously suggested and I am going to try this as well. best of luck.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.30(Sun)11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ich live in your water. So they need to be removed from the water.

Before treatments I'd do 50% water changes and do this every 3 to 4 days. I know this sounds extreme but it works.

Also you could raise the temperature in the tank to 85 degrees for a few days parasites like ich don't like the higher temps.

You can use a Diatom Filter to actually filter the Ick out of the water.

If you do all of those it could remove your ick problem.

Problem is Regal Tangs are highly susceptible to ick. Crying or Very sad
The Old Salt

PostPosted: 2003.04.01(Tue)0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T use lowered salinity in a tank with inverts. If you dropped the salinity low enough to kill the Ick, you'd kill your shrimp and rock as well.

Copper in the freshwater dip water is useless; don't bother.

If you want to finally rid this fish of ick, you are going to HAVE to put it into the quarantine/hospital tank that you should have put it in before putting it into your show tank. Any other fish will have to go as well, since the ickies will continue to infest the tank as long as there are host fishes in it, and for even a couple of months after they are gone.

One of the hardest things for new marine hobbyists to accept is that they NEED to quarantine their specimens before putting them into their show tanks.

PostPosted: 2003.04.10(Thu)9:38    Post subject: ich Reply with quote

That is a very good point "salt" and a quarenteen tank is the best idea, however there are some people in this world who have limitations with regards to money and floorspace, so in cases such as these alternatives are needed.

PostPosted: 2003.04.10(Thu)9:39    Post subject: ich Reply with quote

That is a very good point "salt" and a quarantine tank is the best idea, however there are some people in this world who have limitations with regards to money and floorspace, so in cases such as these alternatives are needed.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.11(Fri)14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but there IS NO alternative to proper quarantine.

At this point you may want to consider an ultraviolet sterilizer.
Get a big one, and leave it running continuously for at least a month. That should get the problem under control. It won't totally cure it, but it will render it fairly harmless.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if hes eating even if its not much I would try the garlic anyway. If he eats any of it it could help him. Also ii read an article where they think garlic may be an appetite stimulate so go ahead and try it anyway. Also have you checked into a freshwater dip? That can help the fish also. Since it is a tang make sure it gets a good varied diet especially with the greens, it will boost his immune system and help keep ick off of him.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: