Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Feedback on tank setups?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monger
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.23(Tue)16:58    Post subject: Feedback on tank setups? Reply with quote

Just curious how you guys and gals feel about my few tank setups, I have been out of the hobby for roughly 15 years and am very excited about getting back into it, I've jumped in head first for the last few months. I forgot how exciting fish keeping is. Very Happy
All tanks are well cycled. All water parameters are good, aeration, and filtration for all tanks is plentiful.
1) 20 gallon w/
1 swordtail (she needs two buddies)
5 red wagtail platys
2 silver mollies
4 orange platys (I forget which ones precisely)
1 pictus cat
2 neon tetras

2) 20 gallon w/ (note: all of these fish will be moved to a larger tank 40 gallon tank)
1 rubber eel
1 striped liporinus
1 black ghost knife fish
1 pleco

3) 40 gallon w/ (these will be moved to an 80 gallon in 1 month)
1 oscar
1 pleco
3 silver dollars

****all of the fish are getting along happily******
I did have a chameleon that didn't get along with anyone, I eventually returned him, reluctantly, to my LFS.

Any and all comments will be appreciated.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.23(Tue)17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall they seem OK if your 'promises' of tank upgrades are for real Wink

A few quick issues I spotted:

1) The neons don't have much to do with the rest of the gang, and the Pictus Cat may eventually eat them. How about setting up a 10 G just for the neons and getting them another 6 or so neons for companions? You could also move the Pictus cat to your other 20G.

2) A BGK grows too large even for a 40G, although it takes a couple years for that.

3) You should find out exactly which plecos you have. Some species stay smaller than 10 cm, other species grow larger than 60 cm. Some are strictly vegetarian, others are bark eaters, others will eat anything, and so on...
monger
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.23(Tue)18:06    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

I do want to get more neons, I forgot to state that, so the few I have are happier. I will consider your recommendation about segregating them.

The one concern I have with the pictus is that the other 20 gallon has a pleco in it, the two plecos I have are the common ones that get really big. I was concerned that the pleco may not like the pictus....mmmm...dinner? 'Cause I know that they will eat smaller fish and young of his own kind. And the pleco will eventually get about twice as big as the pictus, now they are roughly the same size.
I also wanted to keep some kind of bottom feeder in that tank, maybe a cory cat of some kind instead.

The BGK will be going into the 40 gallon soon. And I do want to put him into a 120+ gallon eventually with his other tank mates that he has now.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: