Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Breeding mollys / plattys
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndianEnvasion
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.23(Tue)10:40    Post subject: Breeding mollys / plattys Reply with quote

My ? is are breeding dalmation mollys and red fin plattys difficult??

I have a 30 gal with 4 plattys ( 2 male 2 female) and a pair of dalmations 1 male 1 female - amm is 0 pH is 8 nitite/nitrate 0 75-78deg temp. I have some lava rock fake plants.

the tank mates are 8 neons and one rubbernose

any idea to induce breeding or what I need for them to breed or what to look for if they are breeding??
AIM NasirOutaControl
Wei
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.23(Tue)10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am by no means an expert but I did some research on this because my balloon mollies gave birth to some fries the second day after getting them from the petstore. Heres a link that you might find helpful.

http://fish.orbust.net/livebearers.html
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.23(Tue)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

with livebearers I find that feeding a variety of flake and small frozen foods to condition them is the best option. if nothing else they will be healthier if you offer them a variety of food options.
IndianEnvasion
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.23(Tue)12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wei - thanks for the link! its great! everyone thanks for the replies I hope they breed just for fun I don't want to sell the fry unless it gets to be a full tank.
AIM NasirOutaControl
IndianEnvasion
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.23(Tue)12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more ? my mom who had a beta at her work ( it died ) so I have an extra 3 gal tank, it dosent have a heater or a filter can I place the fry and mother in that tank??? if so should I keep the gravel and fake plants ( 2 ) in it so the fry can hide?
AIM NasirOutaControl
Puresouthern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.23(Tue)12:38    Post subject: Re: Breeding mollys / plattys Reply with quote

IndianEnvasion wrote:
My ? is are breeding dalmation mollys and red fin plattys difficult??

I have a 30 gal with 4 plattys ( 2 male 2 female) and a pair of dalmations 1 male 1 female - amm is 0 pH is 8 nitite/nitrate 0 75-78deg temp. I have some lava rock fake plants.

the tank mates are 8 neons and one rubbernose

any idea to induce breeding or what I need for them to breed or what to look for if they are breeding??

Your molly needs 2 more females. General rule is 1 male to 3 females. Otherwise he'll harrass the one. I have dalmation mollys. Mine are always pregnant, but I have to get any live fry. The females bellys get really round LOL thats the only way I can tellyou that they are pregnant. And Molly's are ALWAYS breeding. Its my understanding Plattys are similar.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: