Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Shark attack in South Africa: major rant and long post
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)11:23    Post subject: Shark attack in South Africa: major rant and long post Reply with quote

Animal hating sapienists should be taken out at dawn, given a last cigarette, and shot!!! Evil or Very Mad

WHY do the vast majority of people think 1 human life lost tips the scales against all animals of a particular species?

Last Monday, an elderly woman was attacked and eaten by a White Shark in False Bay, here in Cape Town. It is the 2nd fatal attack this year, plus in August a local school kid lost his leg while surfing; he has since recovered and has a fancy sponsored prosthetic.

However, this has now prompted a rash of calls in the media that the 'rogue shark' that viciously savaged her should be HUNTED DOWN and, quote, TAKEN OUT!!!\

Can people get any more stupid?? Mad

Just a bit of background for all you Northern hemisphere folks who may not know: False bay is one of the major breeding grounds for Great Whites in the world; we have a very dense local population due to the prevalence of seals and large pelagic fish that the white sharks predate upon. Also, White Sharks are frequently seen breaching out of the water when they attack seals... since this is uncommon behaviour, in recent years the area has attracted a HUGE number of shark tourists and tours, people who come to watch the sharks in boat tours, and those who do cage diving. On top of this, False Bay has a large number of beaches where people surf, windsurf, swim and otherwise enjoy themselves.

Sharks + people= accidents waiting to happen. OBVIOUSLY!!!

Now, the crux of what pisses me off is that the proles seem to think that shark attacks, whilst tragedies for the people concerned, are also some kind of public menace that should be prevented. When JP (the kid) got chomped, there was all sorts of talk in the media about the evils of chumming to attract sharks for tourists, and how sharks are now becoming habituated to people and assocaiting people with food, etc.

Now, I don't really have an opinion on that, since I'm not an animal behaviourist.

BUT I AM POSSESSED OF COMMON SENSE, which is why I get royally cheesed when the local Hysterical Society start belating about identifying rogue sharks and culling them!, since they pose such a danger to humans!

I ask you, how on earth are you, when standing on Muizenburg beach or Boyes Drive, going to tell any shark that you might see from any other of around 300 in False bay...

It sounds like open season on a protected species to me...

Danger to humans indeed- 80 million sharks a year are killed for fin soup!!!!

Now I need to go away, so I can wipe the froth from my mouth and stop fulminating...
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)17:03    Post subject: Re: Shark attack in South Africa: major rant and long post Reply with quote

Clare wrote:
False bay is one of the major breeding grounds for Great Whites in the world;

On top of this, False Bay has a large number of beaches where people surf, windsurf, swim and otherwise enjoy themselves.

well OBVIOUSLY theres gonna be some run-ins if people are swimming, surfing, and windsurfing in the sharks BREEDING GROUNDS... lol its just so stupid how people blame the shark for attacking something that looks like, acts like, and is in the same territory as, food.
Fish sticks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, always pissed me off too, we cut into their environment, and they resort to eating our cats and dogs to survive, and attack a human, so we hunt them down and kill them. hmm its OK for us to kill them, but its not OK vice versa? not that I don't mourn the loss of a fellow human, but its just sad.
theBigBad
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree on the fin soup thing. particularly the "fin-harvesters" who seem to think that sharks are there just for their fins.in truth , I don't think the sharks fin provides any taste at all to the soup-its just the chicken broth. Shocked
travis simonson
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago here in the States we had something very similar happen. A spate of shark attacks, highly publicized by the media, whipped the general public into an uproar over the safety of our beaches. The beaches are neither more dangerous nor any safer than they ever have been. I feel that the media is largely to blame for the public reaction because they are taking a story and pushing the hell out of it in hopes of boosting sales. If sales increase, they will only push their coverage of the next attack even more. On and on, until we finally become desensitized to it and it no longer sells, at which point they will move on to the next juicy story, much like sharks themselves Wink
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pffft there have been 3-4 shark attacks in the Galveston area alone this year. Not once have I heard about people going out and hunting the sharks to make the beaches safer. This is too muh like the time that woman got attacked by a mountain lion while hiking in the mountains. HELLO!!!!! You're in his home and his territory. DUH....sheesh.
travis simonson
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I live in Colorado and mountain lions attack occur here almost yearly, especially up in the foothills. I don't know what the statistics are, but if you're out alone and run into one that's hungry, you're not likely to be telling anyone about it later on. And I agree, it's a problem with us, not the cats. They are just being cats - as if we expected them to become civilized once we showed up *grin*
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember she was hiking alone int he beginning of spring. *shakes head*
travis simonson
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain lion attacks are really very comparable to shark attacks because they are so rare and can happen in areas where people frequently go without any problems. It's just sort of bad luck if it happens to you and you can't blame the animals. The last person to get killed, if I remember correctly, was a lady jogging by herself on wooded course just outside of a high school near the foothills in Colorado Springs. The cat caught her from behind by surprise, as they like to do, and she didn't really stand a chance, but I'll bet it was over pretty quickly. Now a shark on the other hand might not be quite as fast about it . . .
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.01(Wed)0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I dunno bout that.... there was a schoolkid who died late last year (around this time I.e. summer, when everyone is in the water), who was bitten from nipple to midthigh. He managed to catch a wave in, but the other surfers who saw it happen and helped him get out the water, said he collapsed, said "I'm cold' and died, barely 2 minutes after being bitten. They also reported that he was completely bloodless - he literally just bled out from his femoral artery and was in complete shock. I would think that's a relatively quick and painless way to die.

Travis and Huntress, I totally agree with you on the media/ mountain lion thing.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: