Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
RTS tankmates... help?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jixie
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)23:42    Post subject: RTS tankmates... help? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was given a 55 gallon tank with fish. If it were up to me they'd all be taken to the lfs and I'd be setting it up for African Cichlids but... my family is in love with the big aggressive red tailed shark that came with the tank.

Now that the tank has had time to settle and re-cycle, and everyone is doing well, I'm ready to start swapping fish. Currently there is the RTS, 2 clown loaches, 2 plecos, a platy, and a kulie loach. The RTS ignores the plecos and platy but picks on the clowns. I tried adding a plakat (short finned) betta, but he was harassed so I removed him. The PLAN is to swap the plecos for 4-5 ottos and maybe a small school of cory cats, swap the clowns & platy for a school of something, and mabye add some medium-sized gourami. Of course do this over a period of time to let the bacteria adjust.

My three big questions are:

What would be an apropriate schooling fish to put in with a bossy RTS? Pretty much everything I've read says tiger barbs are good, but I don't like tiger barbs! Would a larger tetra (namely daimond tetras) work? Or is there another type of barb that's an option?

Would adding a medium/large gourami like a moonlight or kissing be a bad idea, or could that work out? Someone asked me to take their kissing gourami who's a good size and has been living in a 20 gallon for some time, but I just don't know...

Is there any way I can make it easier introducing new fish to this tank? I was thinking about moving the RTS to the quarantine tank for a few days while the new fish adjusted to the tank then move him back in, OR dividing off 1/4 of the tank for the RTS for a few days after introducing the new fish... but that makes things a little more complicated and I don't know if it would even work. Any sugestions?

Please help me out. This is my first time with a "real" tank (before it was just bettas) and I don't want to make too many mistakes Very Happy I have been lurking on and off here and this is a great forum. Thank you for your time.

Jixie
Ehsan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Red tailed shark lives with a group of Tinfoil barbs and it seems they're good tankmates,but your tank may be won't be big enough for adding a group of these large fish to the others...

I've kept it with bronze corys and clown loaches and the shark always harassed them...I heard RTS with Tiger barbs will be calm but if you don't like them......
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

larger tetras should be quick enough to go with your shark. IMO diamonds would be fine. I would advise against the Kissing gourami in particular since when they are full grown they would likely see any schooling species as lunch...
Nadia
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RTS in my 55 gallon. The tank is medium to heavily planted, with a school of neon tetras, a school of rasboras, a school of lemon tetras, 3 julii cories, and a few stray guppies (which I really should move to another tank, but that's another topic).
The point is, it has not harassed any of these small fish. It is active, it loves to chase one of the cories, but it has never harmed anyone. It doesn't even eat the guppy fry!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: