Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
these worms came from where?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sand
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)15:37    Post subject: these worms came from where? Reply with quote

wanted my tiny snails to grow without me vacuuming them up.
so I filled a 2.5 gal with water from a community tank, added a java fern & some tiny baby snails.
put it in the sunlight. it's been there about 2.5 months.
I replace all the water with tank water about once every 2 weeks.
today I did the 100% water change & put some baby fish in there so they could munch on the algae & I saw these VERY TINY white wiggly worms on the glass. EW!
where'd they come from!? are they bad for my fish!!!
tonysghs
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh yes, tiny white worms. if you look in the disaster and disease forum you can get a good picture and a link to some info...which states that if the worms are not on your fish, then they are probably a harmless freeswimming species since the parasitic type live most of their lives inside or on a host fish. now, I also just got worms in my 55gallon and it said to get rid of them: do water changes on a regular basis and that the worms are living off of excess nutrients so try not putting any food in for three days. after that, if they are still there...I hope you cand find help from someone who knows. good luck. bye
Sand
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, but there NEVER was any food in there. it was just snails, some algae on the glass, a java fern and water form another tank
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which could have carried worms to the tank. No need to worry about them.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand wrote:
I know, but there NEVER was any food in there. it was just snails, some algae on the glass, a java fern and water form another tank

You never once fed any of the fish in there? Either way, the water from the other tank could have brought them in in larval or egg form. It's really not that big of a deal.
k_the_c
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

White wiggly worms are probably planaria. They grown when there's excess food. Some fish will eat them.
tonysghs
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

so where do they come from in the first place?
Sand
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

they sure didn't come from too much food.

the tank water I was using to fill the 2.5 gal is a 30 Gal show tank. it was cycled with 3 small guppies about 5 months ago and there were 4 more guppies added. SO in a 30 gal show, there were ONLY 7 guppies. that's IT. believe me I never overfed them.
there was NO food EVER added to the 2.5 gallon either. just snails, 1 fern from the show tank and baby snails and sunlight.
I saw the worm when I decided to throw some fry into the 2.5

no extra food. my tanks are all ridiculously understocked. they are easier to care for that way.[/quote]
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feed them at all there is going to be extra that they don't reach. Nematodes are a basic part of an aquarium ecosystem. They can be originally brought in by water from another tank (unless you use a microscope you can't be sure nothing is in there), fish, snails, etc. They grow and multiply with excess food or even with what little hits the ground. Sometimes you'll get some organisms in the tap water you use for waterchanges.

That said, nematodes and planaria are two very different organisms and shouldn't be mixed up. While both are harmless, they both look very different from one another.
tonysghs
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tank has nemotads, the long skiny white wiggling ones. so, I realise they are not harmful, but can you actually get rid of them or is it more like you can just deplete the population?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: