Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Total Newbie - Advice Wanted
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibookguy
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)0:52    Post subject: Total Newbie - Advice Wanted Reply with quote

Hey all! I'm a total newbie and thrilled that I found this website! I haven't started yet - but I plan on purchasing my tank tomorrow. I'm looking at a 10g Aqua Culture Tank/Starter Kit (filter + light included) from Wal-Mart - $30. I don't want to start with anything big due to fear that I'll royally screw something up Sad So, I'm curious - once I purchase the tank, what all do I need to do and keep in mind? I've seen an article on fishless cycling here, but what else? I plan on purchasing some fake plants and extra stuff as well (fake rocks, etc.). Also, where is a good place to find testing kits (I'm in middle-of-nowhere Ohio - 1/2 hour to Lima, 1 hour to Dayton, 1 hour to Ft. Wayne IND., 2 hours to Columbus - so anything like a Wal-Mart, Meijer, Kroger, Petland would be best). Also - what are good starter fish? I don't have anything to particular in mind - other than I want something other than goldfish. I'd appreciate any advice/help I can get Smile

Thanks,
Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angry Cuttlefish
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Eric,

Welcome to the hobby. I think you'll find that everyone here is pretty friendly and helpful.

I started with a ten gallon tank as well, so you and I went the same route as far as our introduction to the hobby. I added 3 cory catfish to the tank and a couple of Amano shrimp (also known as Japonica) once the tank was done cycling. You might consider adding a beta to the tank (and he would really enjoy a tank of that size) as they are quite colorful and interesting fish that don't cost much and should do well with the cory cats and shrimp (alternatively, you could put otocinclus in instead of the shrimp).

You might consider ordering test kits online. Liveaquaria.com has become one of my favorites for supplies when local stores don't have what I need or charge too much for it.

Good luck! I know you'll enjoy this as much as I do. Very Happy
k_the_c
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are couple of good links:

http://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html
http://honors.montana.edu/~weif/firsttank/steps.phtml

I'd hold off on the fake plants. You're almost better off just getting a low light plant like a java fern.

A good first fish would be a single anabantid like a betta or a paradise fish. These are easy to keep and don't even need circulating water.

The Jungle five in one test strips are usually good enough. You should be able to get those from your walmart.
kimura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I'd get a bigger tank than that...... do yourself a favor and get a 29 gallon at least. with a bigger tank you have greater margin for error. you can find a 29 gallon tank with lid for about 70 bucks then go online and find a cheap or used filter off ebay or something.they sell kits for about 100 that come with every thing but the filters that come with those kits are very weak in my opinion. you will have way more options with a tank that big. if you stick with the 10 gallon you will really be limited on what you can put in there. trust me on this and you will thank me later. the best advice I can give you is to REALLY understand the nitrogen cycle before buying fish. research the fish you want before you buy them and make the tank around their needs. some fish like a current and some must have hiding spots. consider what the final size of the fish will be when it reaches adult hood. understock and save lives. build up very slowly until you get it all down and have a good understanding of the hobby.if you want gravel/sand go to a hardware supply store cause its WAY cheaper than a pet store. keeping a few low light live plants is really worth it in the long run. they really help keep water quality up . petsmart has some good but cheap decorations but their fish are only marginal. a few groumis and a decent sized school of some kind of tetra/raspora with a few cories and maybe a dwarf pleco or a couple of ottos would make a decently stocked tank.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: