Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Weird stuff on Driftwood
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rubbersoul
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)17:14    Post subject: Weird stuff on Driftwood Reply with quote

Been cycling my tank for about 2 weeks now and I think it's almost done. Ammoniawent from 7.2ppm to 0ppm and the nitrites went from 0ppm to 1.6ppm....I'm now waiting for them to drop off before I do a water change and start adding fish. My question:

I have a peice of driftwood in the center of the tank.....over the last week and a half it has formed this weird smoky grey colored hair like substance....it's all over the wood....any idea?
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very common and harmless occurrence. It's probably some kind of fungus. You can remove as much as possible by scraping it off the wood and siphoning it out with water changes, or take the wood out and scrubbing it off, but even if you didn't do that, it eventually would go away on its own.

~Haname
rubbersoul
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Good to know as I don't want to take it out and scrape it with Anubias plants attached to it.....It would be a big pain in the rear....thanks...I'll leave it and hope for it to go....maybe my bottom feeders will eat some of it!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: