Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Got my 55g and I have Questions
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krispy
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.19(Fri)20:56    Post subject: Got my 55g and I have Questions Reply with quote

Finally got it yay =] *pats on back*

I plan on setting it up as soon as the sun comes up. Here is what I bought today:
55g '48 x '13 x '21(w,l,h)
Penguin 330
150 watt Heater

Tomorrow I plan on buying:
-gravel(need some help deciding which gravel to get, plan on getting livebears, tetras, gouramis, cories, and possible rasaboras or barbs) Don't know if I should go with lighter gravel or darker.(Question #1)
-thermometer

Questions:
1) Should I go with darker or lighter gravel? What size?

2) I plan on doing fishless cycling and I bought Ammonia in Publix and it is labled "Ammonia Clear", is this the correct one?

3) Will I do fine with an 150 watt heater?

4) Is it necessary to get an air pump? (I still am not certain of its purpose besides providing oxygen)

5) Do I need to have gravel or plants from an established tank to start the fishless cycling process?

Thank you all for your help!
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.19(Fri)22:26    Post subject: Re: Got my 55g and I have Questions Reply with quote

Krispy wrote:

1) Should I go with darker or lighter gravel? What size?

Which ever looks good to you. I will suggest getting small size (1mm-2mm) In case you later decide to have plants.

Krispy wrote:

2) I plan on doing fishless cycling and I bought Ammonia in Publix and it is labled "Ammonia Clear", is this the correct one?

No idea, but you could have just added some fish food and it will rot and provide all the ammonia that you need

Krispy wrote:

3) Will I do fine with an 150 watt heater?

Is the aquarium kept in a heated room? If yes then it will be fine. If not, then it will depend on how low the temp. of the room falls.

Krispy wrote:

4) Is it necessary to get an air pump? (I still am not certain of its purpose besides providing oxygen)

No. Get it only if you see your fish struggling for air.

Krispy wrote:

5) Do I need to have gravel or plants from an established tank to start the fishless cycling process?

No. Though if you get gravel from established tank the cycling will go much faster.

Also I am not sure if Penguin 330 is enough for a 55G tank. At least an Aquaclear 300 is not enough by experience.

hope this helps.
Puresouthern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krispy the general rule for heating is 5 watts per gallon. That 150 I doubt will be enough. I have a 200 watt on my 55g and struggle with the temp all the time. Good luck.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I prefer darker substrate in a fw tank because it brings out the colours of the fish. Unless you are setting up a specific theme or biotope id go dark, and smaller is best.

2. As long as it isn't scented/coloured you'll be fine.

3. Puresouthern hit the nail on the head. It's better to buy more heating power than less, it will run less often that way. don't cheap out on heaters. a radiant just cooked my guppies. Crying or Very sad

4. Air pump isn't necessary, but IME fish appreciate the extra air. It would cause you to lose CO2 from the water however which is good in higher pH tanks but with the species you listed it shouldn't be necessary.

5. seeding your tank with used filter media, old gravel and plants isn't necessary but helps. also if you can get biofilm it will speed up the whole process greatly.

lastly: congratulations on your new tank. good luck with whatever fish you choose!
Krispy
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!

I still am unsure if I should use this ammonia bottle I bought. It foamed at the top and I heard that was a no-no.
I've been checking these boards every 15 minutes to check for new post so thanks to the ones who have posted!

What is the biofilm you speak of. I have heard it before and I am no luck googling it. Where is it available at?

EDIT: Just smelled ammonia, is it suppose to be this strong? I'd say this is definately not scented or with added colour.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are unsure of your ammonia source using fish food is a bit slower but will work. biofilm is the stuff that builds up on surfaces in your filters. on a power filter the intake and the outflow are good places. if you want more advice on this id say haname is the one to ask Smile a biofilm genius rite there...

good luck keep us posted
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: