Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What can I add?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theBigBad
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.19(Fri)1:04    Post subject: What can I add? Reply with quote

My 15 g has been cycled and ready for fish. the plants are growing fine with and overall it is thick. the temperature hovering around 28 to 29 degrees celcius. pH is 7.4(last check was like 7.2). I'd like a community tank. I have 3 otos inside already. What do you all think I could add?thanks
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.19(Fri)1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like Tetras, as they are schooling fish and often have colourful patterns to them.

Though the choice is always up to you...you could check out the fish gallery to your left!
duzzie
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.19(Fri)3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for a school of rainbow fish, either red rainbows or thredfins. Both are lovely fish the threadfins are smaller so you could have more of them.Alternatively you could go for Dwarf Pencilfish, they are small but are probably the most colourfull pencilsfish out there.

Duzzie
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.19(Fri)3:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

or get some fish from the livebearers like a sunset platy or a guppy, mollie, swordtail etc. my tank is soon going to have all livebearer fish such as guppy, molly, platy, swordtail
theBigBad
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.19(Fri)7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I introduced about 12 guppies from my other tank into the current one today.they had been together for quite sometime already, and they are kinda like schooling by themselves even. I used to own a couple of red phantom tetras and they almost ripped my betta apart.
I then traded those phantoms for shrimps.nonetheless I find a school of neons very beautiful. I am going to get some of those dabis-dabis(name correct?) I saw at my lfs also.
oh man all this is getting me all excited, I just hope I don't get all impulsive and start overstocking!
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.19(Fri)12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get impulsive and buy another tank! Wink Wink
theBigBad
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ich has spread in the tank! I removed the worse case ones into a hospital tank. I kept the temp of the main tank at 28 degrees. I'm not sure though as the guy at my lfs told me 28 would not do the full jobs of wiping out the ich, only 30 degrees can. the medication he recommended costs 14sgd so I'm trying to see if I can clear all this up by today.
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBigBad wrote:
I am going to get some of those dabis-dabis(name correct?) I saw at my lfs also.

I think you mean Badis, I've heard they are best in species tanks, but are suitable for a community. Clear up the ich though before adding more fish.
theBigBad
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

the badis at my lfs are really pretty and are still only at about a cm long. yup, after the ich stuff is over I'll get some badis. how many of them should I keep together? the guy at my lfs keeps introducing me to new stuff to add into my tank including...frogs?
Puresouthern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBigBad wrote:
I think ich has spread in the tank! I removed the worse case ones into a hospital tank. I kept the temp of the main tank at 28 degrees. I'm not sure though as the guy at my lfs told me 28 would not do the full jobs of wiping out the ich, only 30 degrees can. the medication he recommended costs 14sgd so I'm trying to see if I can clear all this up by today.

Tetras seem to get pretty hard by this. Raise your tank to 86 degrees and insert a bubble stone or rod. You'll need an air pump for this. Start changing your water everyday. I've never found meds to work, but ICH can not live in over 86 degrees. But you MUST provide that extra airsupply. at those temps your fish will start having trouble breathing,which will only increase there stress. I went thru a bad case of it once and the tetras I have under quarantine are undergoing it. You should also locate the source of your stress. Ich is a parasite and when a fishes immune system goes down from stress it attacks. So you need to figure out what caused them the stress too. ICH can not be cleared up in a day.

If I remember right tetras also have very sensitive skin to meds.

Continue to change the water and keep the temp up for 3 to4 days AFTER you see the last spot.

Good luck!!!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: