Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
stocking a 265!!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWCICHLID
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)18:30    Post subject: stocking a 265!! Reply with quote

hi I will be getting a 265 from glasscages.com before the summer. the tank is (84"Lx24"WX30"H) I will probably have a couple of AC500's or a large wet/dry for filteration. The tank is an Amazon based, only South American tank. the current stocking I have growing out in my 55 gallon is:

1 juvi red tiger oscar
1 juvi orange pike
M+F juvi green terrors
2 plecos

I would like to add:
4-6 pink tailed chalceus(spell?)
2 lima shovelnoses
possibly another oscar
6-8 silver dollars

If possible(probably not)
1 silver arrowana
2 teacup stingrays

having all of that would be my dream. it may be overstocked and somethings may not be compatible. I am thinking of having a total filteration of 3,000 GPH. also there will be many rocks, driftwood and SOME plants(very, very hardy) all natural. there will be a pool filter sand substrate. What do you think? any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.
I'm not an expert on the cichlids, but if you stock all of that for SURE you cannot but in a silver arowana. I've had my silver arowana since it was about 2", and have been raising it for around 7 months. The minimum size tank for ONE silver arowana is around 150GaL, and he needs his space. He will grow to about 80cm probably, and he's one agressive fish. I think if you want to get a "silver" arowana, which are the largest species of aro's you would need to cut down your stalk to only adding max. of three med. sized cichlids.
Oh, and another thing...arowana's like their space to swim, so a bare tank is best...you could put stingrays @ the bottom with sand as substrate and probably two aro's in your new tank though...and it would be absolutely stunning Laughing.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.19(Fri)12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also nix the teacups. Way too many agressive fish for this type.
swampcat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.19(Fri)19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6-8 silver dollars will eat your plants. The cichlids will up root them, they do their own decorating.
NWCICHLID
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it be possible to get the teacups for my 55 gallon tank that will have other peaceful SA's? I didn't think I could get the arro. my fish at juvis are VERY mellow and peaceful. I hope they stay like that so I might beable to get the rays. thanks for the replies!
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

To have any type of stingray, you will need a shallow and VERY WIDE tank. Even the teacups can get up to 18" diameter or more so they will not work in a 55g.

Adam
55g Community
75g. Reef tank (cycling)
135g. Needlenose gar, tiretrack eel tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: