Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Brittle Star
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)14:01    Post subject: Brittle Star Reply with quote

I was just wondering if I would be able to get a Brittle Star. I read somewhere that sometimes these stars are known to eat slow passive fish like gobies. I have a Firefish that normally stays close to the ground and doesn't move far away from his cave. I also have a very peaceful Damsel, acts the same way the Firefish does. He isn't aggresive, stays around his cave and is a slow swimmer. If I were to get a Brittle Star, would these fish be in danger?

Also, if I were to get, how many would somebody suggest? I have a 75 gallon aquarium. I also have a Cleaner Shrimp and a Thorny Star, would they be in danger also?
SMOOLIES
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far a I know it"s the green larger brittle stars that will do this. Their sort of the black sheep of the group. The smaller ones are great. We did have a green brittle star with the yellow hairs a couple of years ago and he did eat one of our fish Crying or Very sad so we traded him in at the lfs. We do keep brittle stars in all our reef tanks though and haven't had any problems with any of them except that green guy. There was an artical in Tropical Fish a while back about brittle stars and the it said the same thing about those green guys. Sorry I wish I new the latin name for the big green guys I'm talking about but I hope this does help a little bit. Smile
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know which Brittle Star you're talking about. That's the one I was thinking of getting since it's the one I see the most at pet stores. What type of Brittle Star do you keep?
SMOOLIES
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 2 red and white ones,a dark brown and white one, a light brown and white one, and a black and orange one. They"re all fairly small we have one I call chocalate chip cause of his markings and he"s the biggest. There are some really neat ones. Is your tank a reef? If you have a lot of hiding places I'd go with 3. Mine only come out at night or when I"m feeding them Wink
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tank isn't a reef yet but I do have a couple of corals. I have a Leather Coral, some Green Mushrooms, and some Button Polyps. I plan on turning the tank into a reef but haven't had the chance to go out and buy more yet. For those of you that are going to point this out, I know my Thorny Star isn't reef safe but he isn't bothering the coral. He isn't eating them or doing anything else to it and they are all big and healthy.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: