Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
stupid water change question
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhymes_with_milk
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)3:00    Post subject: stupid water change question Reply with quote

This is kind of a stupid question, but the articles section of this site didn't help me out too much. I was just curious how often I should do a water change, and how much I should change? I've never really been taught, now that I think of it. I have a 20 gal. that's pretty lightly planted and has a very small bioload, and a Penguin 170 (I think it's a 170...it's the king that can "filter up to a 50 gal. tank") biowheel on it.

On a similar note, how long should I let tapwater sit once I've added dechlor. I'm assuming it takes a little while for the dechlor to start working, and I just don't want to add untreated water to the tank too early. Also, is it more effective to just use a store-bought dechlor, or does letting the water sit out for 24 hours work just as well?
DJ Mix
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-check the articles section, there's a good one that was just moved there from article submission. Very in depth about water changes. Everything's in there and then some.
Fish sticks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing monthly water changes will work, doing weekly water changes will work. Its up to you and how often you want to do it, how much you change at a time is more important, I clean my tanks once a week, stoping when the vaccum dosent pick up stuff anymore, and that never goes past half the water I have in my tanks. Just remember that the least you should do is once a month.

if it were me, (I'm just a clean person) Id clean your tank every 2 weeks.

I used to let water sit for a few days, that worked fine, but then someone said that that dosent get rid of a few metal types and that dechlor does. I'm not sure if thats true but I stoped doing it. When I use dechlor I add it into the tank right before I put new water in. It seems it works instantly cause it dosent even phase my fish.

to sum it up, in my experience,both letting water sit, or using dechlor works fine.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)18:54    Post subject: Re: stupid water change question Reply with quote

rhymes_with_milk wrote:
On a similar note, how long should I let tapwater sit once I've added dechlor. I'm assuming it takes a little while for the dechlor to start working, and I just don't want to add untreated water to the tank too early.

Some factors (like pH) can affect how quickly the water is detoxified, but it doesn't really seem to matter much. People who use the Python system to change water in large or multiple tanks don't let the water sit at all -- it goes directly from the faucet to the tank. Conditioners are added as the tank is filling, and there never seem to be any problems.

Quote:
Also, is it more effective to just use a store-bought dechlor, or does letting the water sit out for 24 hours work just as well?

Letting the water sit out works fine if your water is treated with chlorine only, but if it is treated with chloramine, a conditioner is a requirement since the chloramine does not dissipate when exposed to air the way chlorine does.

You can find out by going to your water service website, or call the company directly and ask. If in doubt, treat for chloramine.

~Haname
QTFish
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use dechlor just in case there are chloramines. I do 20-25% weekly water changes with a Python. I've done this for years and it works great.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: