Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My molly had her babies
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iowakornflakes
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.15(Mon)11:21    Post subject: My molly had her babies Reply with quote

Late last evening my black molly had babies ...We put her in a breeder net and thought the babies were safe from the other fish, only to find that the other fish were nipping and biting at the bottom and sides of the breeder net and managed to kill almost all of them ...We managed to save 4 and they are sticking to the top in amongst some floating grasses we have in there ...I crushed up some flakes into a very find powder for them too eat, but it doesn't seem like they are interested in eating ...Is there anything that I can do to encourage them too eat or will they just end up eating on their own eventually? ....
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.15(Mon)11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iowa, congratulations.

I would use a breeding box as apposed to a breeding net for livebearers.

It is a solid plastic transparent box and has small compartments for the fry to swim away from mama as she gives birth also as she can eat her fry too.

This stops any other fish from pushing the net in and battering the fry.
You could still try to get hold of one and put that in the main tank and the fry in there with them. It is only about 8 inches x 4 inches.

They may still be in shock and stressed. I use liquid fry no.3 powered flake especailly for livebearer fry and my older betta fry and also Microworms they all love.

Good luck to you and your fry

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
coco033
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.15(Mon)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey that is really wierd because my female swordtail had babies about a month ago and when she had her babies I put them in a baby net. and none of my other fish would go up and disturb the babies. I feed my babies fry bites, it is a growth formula. I really didn't see my babies eat at first either but after a couple of day I would see them all go up to the top to get food. o ya the only one of my fish that would go to the baby net would be one of my cory cats because the first night I didn't have any baby food so I put a shrimp pellet in there so they could pick at it and he would try to get the shrimp pellet. but since I got my baby food none of my fish bother the babies.
Iowakornflakes
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.16(Tue)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took the 4 saved babies and put them in my 5 gallon established tank where I have only white clouds in it ...for the past couple of days now the babies have been eating really well and the white clouds don't even bother them ...Everything worked out great, with the exception of losing most of the babies to my rosy barbs ...Little cannibals Shocked
coco033
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.16(Tue)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad everything worked out great for you. :-)
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: