Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
changing water in the winter
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badaboom
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.14(Sun)22:43    Post subject: changing water in the winter Reply with quote

hey guys
I have only set up my very first tank this summer...
I think I'm doing well on maintaining it so far...

now this is my problem...

changing water in the winter

my tank is maintained at 78 F
my room temperature drops to about 70-75 in the winter
and I am sure if I had a bucket of water in the room temperature it's less than 78 degree, I'm thinking somewhere below 70

I change my water religiously every 3-4 weeks at 25% change each time.

before this month's change, I'm worried about the difference in water temperature
what should I do?
IndianEnvasion
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.14(Sun)23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should be fine beacause that is what the heater will do,but if you really want to I'm sure you can get hot water from the bath tub and get a thermometer and check the temp - just a thought
AIM NasirOutaControl
mykey
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.15(Mon)0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also think it would be OK. One of the thing just like you mentioned you only change 25%. This way you only add small portion of the 'colder' water into the tank. If the temperature change, it would be small and plus your heater will adjust the temperature to what is set. Just curious, why not adjusting the tapwater temperature (cold+hot water) so that it would be about the same (and add some declorinator)?
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.15(Mon)2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

badaboom, I don't add hot tap water to my tanks, heard something about too much heavy metals from the pipes in there. Invest in a small 50W heater and another thermometer and just leave it in your bucket with the water and dechlorinator until it has reached the right temperature. On a side note, you shouldnt really ever add coldwater to a tropical tank because it can really stress fish out.
cindywindy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.11.15(Mon)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "small" temperature change will not harm your fish but water that is more than just a couple of degrees difference could, as stated, stress fish into bacterial, fungal, or parasitic infections. A small submersible thermometer sitting in your bucket of water long enough to get an accurate reading, making temp adjustments with warm water as you go will be all that you need to work with the cold water problem.

As an aside, if you are only doing water changes once a month I would suggest making them larger volume. 25% is what is normally recommended for one-to-two-week water changes ... anything longer than that really should go to 50-60% always being careful to thoroughly vacuum the substrate of all decaying food and waste products each and every time, in order to reduce harmful bacterial growth.
www.tropicalresources.net
badaboom
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.15(Mon)19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies

yah I get a bucket of water from the tap and let it sit for 2 nights before I do a water change, but I've never tried adding chemicals to it.

yah, I should really do water change more often.
I change a filter catridge everytime I do a water change though.

think I'm gonna go slow about adding water...

I think my hardy fish will handle it alrite
swampcat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.17(Wed)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful. I've had water temp change quite a bit during water changes. Some delicate fish are very sensitive to temp change. Sudden temp change leads to ich also.

I live in the notheast USA and gets quite cold, so I do more frequent small water changes during cold months.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: