Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Tank with Tetras
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrow
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.13(Sat)23:30    Post subject: New Tank with Tetras Reply with quote

Hi,
this is my first tank it is a 18G/68L (as far as I could work out) I have 12 Neon Tetras and a few plants and rocks a 70-100L p/h filter and a heater, the tanks at about 24-26C. The fish have started to fight at food time, whats goin on?
knottykyleen
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.15(Mon)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

your fish are probably getting territorial. or they may be fighting because your not feeding them enough. or they may be simply play fighting with each other. watever the reason, I don't think you have to start worrying until they start acually doing damage to each other. (like ripping fins and so on)
hope ove helped

(p.s neon schools are so gorgeous, congrats!)
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes adding another species of fish helps in a situation like this. When they have only each other and no 'enemies' they can turn on one another.

Since you have plenty of room, consider adding a dwarf gourami and a few cory cats.

There will still be one dominant neon, but his concern will involve more than just competing with his own kind.

The gourami will become the tank boss.

~Haname
Arrow
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this has really helped out Very Happy !
I've only had the tank running for a cuople of weeks, would it be better to wait util it has cycled before adding new fish? I'm still unsure of how many fish is too many I don't want to crowd them.

Is there any sort of product thats like a self feeding thing or will they just guts themselves if I gave them that option on top of regular feeds. They seem really hungry all the time, I feed them 3 times a day now and they are fighting less.

I have also turned the light off I heard that in their native environment its quite dappled...is there any truth to this?

I worry a lot.... Laughing
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.18(Thu)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow wrote:
Thanks, this has really helped out Very Happy !

You're welcome. Smile

Quote:
I've only had the tank running for a cuople of weeks, would it be better to wait util it has cycled before adding new fish? I'm still unsure of how many fish is too many I don't want to crowd them.

It's really best to cycle before any fish are added, but since you already do have fish, I would recommend that you purchase some AmQuel Plus water conditioner, NovAqua water conditioner, a salycilate ammonia test, and tests for nitrite and nitrate (if you don't already have them).

Check your ammonia level once per day, and change out 10% - 25% of the water if you have any reading of ammonia. Use AmQuel Plus with NovAqua to condition the change water. You can add more AmQuel Plus to the tank if needed -- up to the full dose for the tank volume once per day.

Quote:
Is there any sort of product thats like a self feeding thing or will they just guts themselves if I gave them that option on top of regular feeds. They seem really hungry all the time, I feed them 3 times a day now and they are fighting less.

There are self-feeders, but the fish aren't starving. Healthy fish will always seem hungry. I would suggest that you reduce the feeding, at least until the tank is fully cycled. The more you feed, the more waste is produced, which cannot be processed by the system until it is cycled. It translates to more ammonia and nitrite.

If you test your water and find a lot of ammonia, do a very large water change first, like 50%, and dose the full tank volume with AmQuel Plus. (Prime is another product that works similarly, but in my town costs a bit more).

I can understand that more food will cause less fighting. You can still feed them three times a day, but feed much smaller amounts.

Quote:
I have also turned the light off I heard that in their native environment its quite dappled...is there any truth to this?

I worry a lot.... Laughing

Smile It's okay, you'll get the hang of it. Smile

Most fish seem to prefer some shade. They need relief from the bright light, and a good way to offer that is with floating plants. Plants can help also with water quality, unless they start to decay, in which case they make matters worse. Floating plastic plants will provide shade, too.

~Haname
Arrow
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man , I thought the tank cycled on its own! Shocked

I'm in Australia so I'll have a look for those products, I also live in a small town with one fish shop (that ironicly also sells fishing rods etc). Why is it that most fish sellers have no idea? They don't even know what the fish are half the time!

They are fighting less already though thanks to you guys.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: