Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Panda Cory Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan45
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.11(Thu)18:05    Post subject: Panda Cory Help Reply with quote

Well I just got my 5 Panda Cories and two Otos yesterday. I did the internet shopping thing and had them delivered to my house. I lost one Panda right away but did recieve a refund from the company. So I have 4 pandas in my tank right now and I am kinda worried about them. 1 is very active and likes to swim around a lot. The other 3 are not as active and they like to just sit on the bottom and move around a little bit, sometimes one will go swim with the active one. Are they just getting used to the tank or should I be worried about them? Also the Otos are doing very well, they are zipping around and very active. Any help would be great.
coco033
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.11(Thu)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats normal for some cory cats. I have 3 of them in one of my tanks and 2 of them will zip around the tank and the other one just sits on the bottom. and in my other tank I have 2 cory cats and 1 of them is a physco and he never stops moving. but my other one just sits on the bottom.
kimura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.11(Thu)23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to test if they are OK feed them fozen/live tubifex worms. if they don't got nuts for them something is wrong Wink
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.12(Fri)6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the norm for Corydoras. I purchased 3 Cory Panda recently and one was more active than the others to begin with, but now they are all relatively active, sometimes swimming round, sometimes resting. Thats how Corydoras behave.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.12(Fri)8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think after they settle in they should be fine. cories can be like that...lethargic one minute then they can race around for an hour and never seem to stop Smile
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.12(Fri)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they just went through the rigors of shipping and probably none too gentle couriers, I would give them at least 3-5 days to settle in and relax. Try to keep the tank light fairly dim and they'll settle down faster.

HTH
Ryan45
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.12(Fri)14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well more bad news I lost another one last night. He looked severly stress and I tried everything I could think of to try and relax him. I hope the other 3 stay alive. Sad I don't think I will try the order over the internet thing again. Oh well I guess you live and learn. If I keep my lights in my tank off for a couple days do you think it will affext my live plants?
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.11.13(Sat)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your cories have a hiding place in the tank? Mine hide in a little rock cave or under a piece of driftwood. If they have some dark places to hide you may be able to keep the lights on for your plants and help the cories adjust.
Ryan45
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.13(Sat)19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this has turned into a disaster. I have lost another cory and now I lost my betta fish due to fin rot. I seems that these fish have introduced fin rot into my tank and it has killed my betta. My Cardnial Tetras and otos seem fine but I have started treating the tank with MelaFix. What else can I do?
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.14(Sun)1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, I had a similar problem after I introduced Panda Cory's into my tank. I lost eight over a week (I bought 6 and my lfs replaced 2 that died within 24 hours.) Within a week I had lost my Red Tailed Black Shark and a Royal Whip Tail a week after that. Each fish, starting with the Pandas, got taken to my lfs who put it down to a bacterial infection. They even put some samples under the microscope to try and find out what type. I posted a discussion headed up 'disease jumping species' and 'red tailed shark no more' that is linked to this and gives more detail on my tank set up. So far, on top of the water changes I have used: Protazin, four day gap, Myxazin, four day gap, then Pimafix and Melafix cocktail, four day gap, Esher 2000 fin rot. - This is on the advise of my lfs, the water changes between each course of medication are large and I was really worried that this amount of disruption would do more harm than good. Saying that it has been ten days now with no losses. I think what ever the Pandas bought into the tank weakened the immunity of my other fish that made them more suseptible to this 'bateria infection'. The water quality is fine and the levels are on the previous discussions named above. hth.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: