Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how much??
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heatherh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.11(Thu)14:50    Post subject: how much?? Reply with quote

OK I finally got some ammonia good old home hard ware lol now my new questions .... how much?? no where have I read does it say how much ammonia I should put in my new tank so once again it is a
46 gallon
fake plants, gravel
obviously no fish and with a
power filter and a ugf with about
2-3 gallons of clean water from a already established tank
(no diseases don't worry)
and some rocks in a sock from that same tank
so how much should I put in teaspoons 1/4 cup??? Question Confused
I have no idea someone please help me!!! Smile
Cichlid man.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.11(Thu)15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the filter has been up and running for at least 5 weeks and then add a few fish. To reduce ammonia levels, chace 1/3 of the water ever 2-3 weeks or more and remove uneaten food and waste on the bottom of the tank with a syphon (tube). Smile

Last edited by Cichlid man. on 2004.11.11(Thu)16:19; edited 1 time in total
starkuless
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.11(Thu)15:52    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I have read a few different amounts, some say you add it bit by bit till you get a reading of 1ppm, some say add it bit by bit till you get a reading of 2ppm and so on and so forth - my understanding is the more you add, ie the higher your peak = being able to suppoer a larger bio load. I stuff up my fishless cycle, although it worked out fine in the end and no probs since.. I just added a capful of ammonia twice a day lol. It peaked at 8ppm but it still cycled normally, took about 2 weeks all up. With the addition of some Cycle aid from the LFS.
heatherh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.11(Thu)19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks that helps yea I didn't know if bit by bit meant certain measurments or until you get a certain reading
but capfuls and measuring ammonia helps thanks everyone for all the information and answering my information I will put pics up as soon as the tank is done cycling and I have put a few fish in ttyl bye
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.12(Fri)10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fishes friend wrote:
Make sure the filter has been up and running for at least 5 weeks and then add a few fish. To reduce ammonia levels, chace 1/3 of the water ever 2-3 weeks or more and remove uneaten food and waste on the bottom of the tank with a syphon (tube). Smile

Having the filter up and running for 5 weeks with no ammonia source to start the cycle does diddly squat. Putting fish in there would kill them off slowly due to the ammonia build up. Even trace amounts are extremely harmful to fish and will burn their gills.

Heather: when I fishless cycle I add enough ammonia to give me 3-4ppm on my test kit. Then I let it sit and test ammonia and nitrites every couple of days. If I notice the ammonia falling too far to 0 before the nitrites finish their peak I add enough just to give me 1-2 ppm and monitor that until my nitrites begin their decent. Once my nitrites start dropping I stop adding ammonia and let nature take it's course.

HTH
heatherh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.13(Sat)11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks it is much appreciated!! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: