Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A sticky situation.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parin
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.08(Mon)17:56    Post subject: A sticky situation. Reply with quote

I've always wanted some fish but I never took the step.

But about 2 months ago, my girlfriend gave me a 4 Gallon tank with two goldfish as a present. I was thrilled and immediately my interest in fish soared again. I watched them swim for hours.
Unfortunately, one of the fish jumped out of the tank two weeks ago and even though we were able to save it, it died from a fungus disease a few days ago. (I guess I added the medicin too late or the damage was simply to great)

The same day, it had jumped out, I went to the pet shop and looked for a bigger and proper tank (with filter and such). Never having owned a tank before, I went home with a starters package (which was all I can afford at the moment!!):

~14 Gallon tank (54 Liters) + internal filter and a cover with a standard light.

Seeing as I still had that one goldfish, I decided to make it a coldwater tank. Where else would I leave it? And just so he wouldn't feel alone, I added some other goldfish species.

The population was:

- 1 regular goldfish
- 1 Black Dragon Eye
- 1 Veiltail (red silver colouration)
- 1 Celestial

Last weekend, I returned to the pet shop for some water plants. And I ended up with 3 plants and 4 more fishes. Rolling Eyes

- 1 male Betta splendens and 3 females

The shop owner told me these Siamese fighting fish do well in room temperature tanks, and my tank is just that (21 C or 69.8 F). And that the male doesn't have a problem with docile goldfish. And indeed, they are living together very nicely.

So these last few days I've thought myself to be one happy camper and have sat watching my fish for hours on end. Smile

Automatically I started looking for more information on fishtanks and how to improve the living conditions for my fish. But now after doing some research (which is quite hard to find on goldfish imho), I have come to understand that goldfish grow much bigger than I had previously known!! Sad I always thought the big goldfish out in the ponds were a different species than the little ones seen in tanks! Shocked

What will I do now?! I have 9 fish, of which 4 are goldfish species in a 14G tank! At the moment they are doing fine, since they are still small (the regular goldfish is the biggest and is currently about 2 inches in length, the others are still smaller). But what will I do after a few months? I don't have the money for a 40G or bigger tank. Sad

I've gone from really exited to pretty sad. I don't want my beautfil fish to suffer but I have nowhere else to put them. And I already find the thought of having to say goodbye to them very depressing. Sad

This is what my tank looks like at the moment:

I know a lot of you experienced people are now sighing and shaking your heads while mumbling "What a classic mistake. Will people never learn?".

But still, since I am now somewhat trapped in this situation, I would still very much appreciate any advice. So if anyone has any? Please do share it with me.

Thank you.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.08(Mon)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off the bettas are not coldwater fish. If you can get a 10g for he females and at least a gallon or two bowl for the male you should be OK. After that return all of the goldies except one for the 14g tank. The tank may look empty, but at least your goldie won't be swimming in massive ammounts of waste. Goldfish produce extreme amounts of waste which is usually what kills them when in a tank that is too small with improper water changes.

Soprry if this isn't the answer you wanted, but it'll be the best for your fish.
Krispy
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.08(Mon)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes the best thing for your fishes is the worst thing you would like to do. If you don't want them to suffer then I'm sorry but the only solution is to send them back and hopefully they would get a good home. These things happen to everybody new into the hobby. Overstocking the tank is usually what happens. Good Luck!
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.09(Tue)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, check around the newspaper and yard sales for used tanks. I have found 29 gallon tanks and stand for 20.00 or so.
Even if you got a larger tank, however, you'll need to thin that population down a bit. Perhaps you know a neighbor with a goldfish pond? So you could still visit?
trigun
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.03(Mon)0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also get that shell out.I heard that shells can release toxins
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.03(Mon)9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

trigun wrote:
I'd also get that shell out.I heard that shells can release toxins

If the shell is well rinsed and there is no sea creature still living in there, there will be no toxins released. When posting information like that please back it up with where you read it or heard it.

Some types ofd shells can buffer the water, but that's pretty much it.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: