Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My Aquarium
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.08(Mon)6:00    Post subject: My Aquarium Reply with quote

This is my current setup -

EQUIPMENT SETUP
18"x10"x10" Glass Aquarium (with Condensation Tray & Black Plastic Hood)
15w Peak Aquatics Light Unit
50w Interpet DeltaTherm Heater
Fluval 1 Plus Internal Filter
Interpet API 1 Air Pump connected to Interpet Internal Filter
Very Fine Gravel
Several Rounded Pebbles
Ecoscaper Silk Plants (mostly Nupar)

FISH
3 Zebra Danios
2 Leopard Danios
3 White Clouds
2 Bronze Corydoras
3 Panda Corydoras
3 Corydoras Julii

The main reasons I have this smaller setup is due to lack of space, but also as it is very easy to clean, not as time consuming as my previous setups. I used the fine gravel so the Corydoras wouldn't damage their barbels. I added the air pump and interpet filter to get a bit more oxygen into the water. I will hopefully post some pictures of this tank at some point.

Including all the other necessary bits and bobs (test kits, food, spares etc.) I would say I've spent nearly
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.08(Mon)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only see two problems with this tank.
1. there are a lot of bottom feeders for a ten gallon tank. you might want to cut back on the cories.
2. I have an fluval internal filter with a ten gallon tank for my cichlid fry and the surface of my water is getting a thin film of something on it. I think it might be from lack of water movement on the surface. I have not proven this yet but am going to try a hang on the back filter to break up the surface and the gunk.

Good Luck.
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.08(Mon)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I also noticed a thin flim had developed on the water surfcae, but since I added the interpet filter, it has gone. The Interpet filter is powered by the air pump, and contains an airstone, which creates bubbles, thus helping to break the surface of the water. I agree with what you say about the amount of corydoras I have. I will keep an eye on them and see how they go on.
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.08(Mon)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good info, thanks.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.08(Mon)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems your tank is a very overstocked and daninos need a good amount of swimming space. keep 2 of those groups of fish you listed. and you could increase those two groups. but if you tank is healthy and your fish are happy you could keep it as it is but you got a lot of fish!

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.09(Tue)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been around a few fish shops in the last few days checking out other aquariums and different fishes. Obviously my favourite fish are corydoras as you know, but as some of you have mentioned I have too many in my current setup. So I was looking at similar small setup today, and considering that I would like to keep all the corydoras I have already and possibly add one or two others, I would purchase this setup and transfer some of them from my current setup into the new one. However rather than keep Danios & Minnows in with them I would go for hardy tetras. Here is a list of Tetras I would be interested in -

Bloodfin Tetra
Black Neon Tetra
Emperor Tetra
Flame Tetra
Glowlight Tetra
Slivertip Tetra

Are these okay choices, or do you have any experience with any of these?
The only ones I've kept before are Glowlights. I have to admit (and some people may find it strange) but I'm not a fan of Neons or Cardinals, and neither of the long finned types like Phantoms.

The other Corydoras I was looking at would be any of these-
Sterbai, Metae, Adolfoi, Caudimaculatus/Similis, Gossei, or Schwartzi.

Let me know what you think.
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.13(Sat)14:13    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hi.

It seems that I will getting a slightly larger tank next weekend, either 18"x12"x15", or 24"x12"x15", so I will probably be in a better position to provide more space for my current fish, and space for a couple of new ones.
percula clown
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.14(Sun)1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

what type of fish would you get that you don't already have. Very Happy
Dan H.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.14(Sun)13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your new tank your cories should be fine, however I think you should switch the danios for some of the tetras that you listed.
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.14(Sun)14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news, I've added Silver Tips, Bleeding Hearts and X-Ray Fish to my setup, and it's caused chaos. The Silver Tips are bullying everything (even the Danios which are larger than them), and the Bleeding Hearts are nipping my Corydoras dorsal fins. So I will be removing all the Tetras first thing tomorrow, and good riddens.

I also had an annoying experience yesterday with a woman in an aquatic shop. She refused any opportunity of selling me Bloodfin, claiming they were unsuitable, and she then went on to question me about every single thing I knew about fishkeeping. I was very annoyed as I've been keeping fish for 7 years now and I don't need some irritating shop woman to tell me about weekly water changes, and how to use test kits. Rather than argue I left, without my Bloodfins. So hence the fact I went to another shop (who had no Bloodfin) and put the other fish in and I now have chaos. I know for a fact if I'd been allowed to purchase the Bloodfin, I wouldn't have any problems. So thanks very much sad woman from Barton Grange Pets & Aquatics, you will not be receiving my custom again. Mad
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: