Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Question from a Newbie re: Queen Angel Fish
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.11.03(Wed)20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain, my friend... here's my best shot...
You will likely need to move the fish and improve the diet.
Head & lateral line erosion (HLLE) has been linked to several possible causes including Hexamita, stray voltage, negative vitamin C, poor water quality and various types of "stress" (stress is a wide spectrum cop-out in my opinion). Search the Web for an hour and you will find documented cases of definitive and fast cures (3-4 weeks), usually results of diet change and MOVING the fish to a different tank. In my opinion, size of the tank is not really a culprit here...why? I have seen HLLE in systems of several thousand gallons with water quality MUCH better than most hobbyist's. It has also shown up on tangs in reef systems, but I kept a yellow tang and hippo tang in a simple 29 gallon undergravel FOWLR system (no skimmer, no trickle filter, no carbon) for two years with no HLLE. It has been completely cured/reversed simply by moving to another system; excellent results have been acheived with outdoor vats and broccoli/algal diets, also fresh, cured live rock can help. Try a product called Selcon and iodide added to a sponge/Nori algae diet, that may help, but you still may need to move the fish. Other observations; I have seen anglefish hit OVERNIGHT with this after using activated carbon, which may be linked to losing the coating around the hyper sensitive areas on their bodies. You will also find hope in macro (caulerpa) algae beds in undisturbed sumps with growth lighting, linked to your system... this may be the brightest spot on the horizon for the truly succesful marine fish aquarium in my opinion. HLLE is a much bigger problem than most care to admit, it requires industry attention and effort with good documentation. The good news; it can be totally reversed if you are willing to do what it takes. If not, simply leave highly susceptible species, I.e. tangs and angels out of your system... there are many other beautiful species which are much more resistant to this problem.
Do read Bob Fenner's info it may help, here are the links:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hllefaqs.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hllefaqs2.htm
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: