Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help! Crazy parents!
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
igNIS
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.31(Sun)23:47    Post subject: Help! Crazy parents! Reply with quote

OK heres the deal.
my parents took over my 36L tank after we got the new 73L tank.
and guess what they did? they put 50 neons inside
Shocked
ARGH WHAT DO I DO?! they didn't listen to me at the fish shop where they were bought....
and worse still, they claim that a heater is TOTALLY UNNECCESSARY!!!
Shocked

HELP!!!
Krispy
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.01(Mon)0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch, 50 neons in a 10 gallon. Things don't look to good. Have you tried explaining it to them? Chances are those 50 neons aren't all healthy. Oh and I'm sure the guy who counted the 50 fishes had a lot of fun.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.11.01(Mon)10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing you can do is to explain to your parents just why 50 fish are NOT good in a 10 gallon tank. If they were given the inch-per-gallon garbage, also explain how 50 inches of fish cannot live in a tank this size.

The best you can do is warn them what will happen to the fish. As in, they will start dying off very quickly. They still may not believe you when this happens, may blame it on bad stock, but that is probably the best you can do. Refrain from I Told You So, since these are your parents, and while they may respect that you have an opinion, they may not respect it directly. Many young people who keep tanks are considered inexperienced due to a lack of age, but age means nothing to the fish, only the care they receive.

There may yet be time to save these neons if you can put some of them into your other tank---of course, this brings up the issue of possible sick fish, and spreading diseases. So unless you can take them back to the pet store, I'm afraid a good majority, if not all, of them will die quite soon. Keep us posted.

Is the tank cycled?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.11.01(Mon)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I suggest printing an article from online sources about stocking guidellines, parents have a very hard time taking directions from kids, may as well learn that now.

fishprofiles.com may give you info on temp ranges for neons.
igNIS
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.03(Wed)5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I know..
but they consulted the shop assistant, and she said can
yeah right, probably just to make a quick buck.
they justify that its fine because in the fish shops the tanks are always overcrowded and they still survive, so... yeah

they probably realise by now,
cause I pointed out that the 5 black neons in the 73L need that much space when comfortable (imaginary box), and that there was no way the 10g had ten of those imaginary boxes.
quite a dumb way to teach, but it worked
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.03(Wed)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, explain to your parents that fish store tanks are not to be compared to because they have two thiings that a home aquarium will never have. 1) a HUGE filtration system to handle the massive bioloads in each tank with freshwater constantly being pumped in. Most lfs do partial waterchanges every singel day. 2) A high turnover rate. 90% of these fish are sold within a few days a week or two at the very most.

Most lfs employees have absolutely no training whatsoever in keeping fish and have no idea what the fundementals are. Taratron used to work at a Petsmart and if memory serves me correctly she left her job because what the managers wanted her to do to sell a fish went against her ethics after learning how to properly care for fish.
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.10(Fri)1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiosity, whats the status of this tank now? still with 50 neons? you could sneak 5 or 10 out every few days and return them to the lfs and act 'blur' (sorry asian expression for pretend you don't know what happened to them)...
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.10(Fri)8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol@rijac! Smile
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: