Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Question about filters
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PorscheCAS
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.30(Sat)8:50    Post subject: Question about filters Reply with quote

I'm currently in the process of setting up my 55 gallon. I'm just getting into aquariums again after years and years of being out of it. my question is, what kind of filter do you think is the best? undergravel, canister, other. I heard that the Penguin 330 is a decent filter. any suggestions would be great. and I should say that affordability is important to me as well. thank you
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.30(Sat)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of canister filters. I use and Highly recomend the Rena Filstar XP series of canister filters. They work great, extremley quiet n(you can't even hear mine when it is in the cabinet uder the tank) and they are the cheapest canisters you will find. Check out BigAlsonline.com and they have the XP3 which is their biggest and most expensive for 87.99 I think, and it just gets cheaper.m I'd go with the XP2 for you. The penguin you are talking about is nice but not enough filtration for the size tank you have. Good luck

Adam
55g Community
75g. Reef tank (cycling)
135g. Needlenose gar, tiretrack eel tank
Gunnie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.30(Sat)15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love the canister filters, and love the filstars. I agree they are extremely quiet, they do an excellent job, and require lesss maintenance than a hang on back filter. Also, when you have a power outtage or surge, my filstars have always continued to filter the water. I have come home many times where my hang on back filters are screaming because they have lost their prime, and who knows how long they had been like that! I think the filstars are much more reliable than any hang on back filter.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.10.30(Sat)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend, there are several types of filters which can help you have a successful marine tank... none are perfect in my opinion, some are better than others and some work quite well, but all have limitations. It is not possible to give you a worthwhile opinion without knowing which type of animals you want to keep. For instance filtration requirements for a reef system with corals will be far different than a fish only system.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.10.30(Sat)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penguin 330 will only lose its prime during a water change. Simply turning off power will not lose prime when restarted. Also, it never leaks on the floor if clogged. The biowheels IME tend to shed a bit of bacteria so the tank water is not as clear as I'd like, though using the carbon filled cartridges does make the water very clear (I don't' run carbon)

For the price ($21 online) it is a great filter. I'd consider running two depending on the fish involved, or adding a sponge filter on the other side.

Um, is this freshwater or salt?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.30(Sat)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I believe a natural filter is the best for marines. simply have live rock, a plenum/dsb(optional), some powerheads and a skimmer. for my first saltwater I modified my eclipse sytem 3 to allow for a skimmer so I could have the natural filtration. anouther form of natural filtration would be a refugium which is a lighted sump with some live rock and substrate and calerpa.

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
ColinAnderson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.02(Tue)23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to bash Filstar at all -- I think they are excellent canisters. However, as far as noise and reliability is concerned, you cannot beat an Eheim canister. Smile

110 liter planted
Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim 2215 Canister
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: