Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY caves
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)1:09    Post subject: DIY caves Reply with quote

Could you use a coke can for a cave after boiling it in water to clean the can of all chemicals? Weight it down with a little gravel on the inside of the can, then take some fish friendly pains to the can to camoflauge it?
demonseed
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the can will be deadly to the fish or not, but you really can't put most metals in an aquarium. A coke can will definetely rust under the water and I really don't think rust would be good for the fish. See rust is chemical reaction so naturaly it will add unwanted minerals to the water.
(p.s. we just learned about chemical reactions in chemistry class, but if I'm wrong don't come looking for me Laughing
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason you were trying to use a coke can? I would shy away from it, simply because it is metal. Also, those edges can be sharp. There are much better options out there. Terracotta pots being a good staple for caves. Also, PVC pipe may have the narrow cylinder look you're hoping for. I've also sawed a coconut in half and cleaned it up and used those as two little caves (really fun with java moss on them.)
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend it. Coke cans when submersed will rust and then you'll have huge problems. not to mention the edges will be very sharp. I'd go for terra cotta pots or pVC pipe or even just plain rock caves.
solidbrass

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a coke can rust in years. They are aluminum, nes pa? As stated, there is no need to use them in any event. The clay flower pots work great. Also, leftover PVC pipes can easily be cut, shaped, and bureid.
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct, aluminum can not rust. besides they have a plastic coating on the inside of the can to keep the drink from actually touching metal before we drink it Smile. I am looking for a cave about 2-3" in diameter and about the same in length, but with a small hole in it not the entire one end open. I need the hole to be about 1/2" I had thought about using pvc pipe and caping the ends and then drilling a hole in one side, but then as I was drinking my Dr.Pepper I had a thought that since it was aluminum I could sterilize it and use that.
Mike
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.30(Sun)11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia.

I have coconut shells with java moss on them for my little frogs home.

I have a problem getting the moss to attach. It it was not for the cotton thread, it would be all over the place. doesn't seem to attach itself at all.

how do you find it ?

Cheers
Mike
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.30(Sun)22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to leave it attached to the shell for a month or so I believe so that roots can grow out and attach to the shell.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.31(Mon)9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

solidbrass wrote:
I haven't seen a coke can rust in years. They are aluminum, nes pa? As stated, there is no need to use them in any event. The clay flower pots work great. Also, leftover PVC pipes can easily be cut, shaped, and bureid.

Actualy it's n'est pas. Smile But I digress, yes the can itself is alluminum, but the parts on the top ie: the tab and the knob the tab is attached to are not. Plus any metal submersed for a long period of time will rust. I helped a local lake clean up crew pull all kinds of crap out of a body of water and yes there were rusty coke cans and othr types of non rustable items in the lake that had rusted.Even stainless steel will rust after a certain period of time. I've seen this too LOL

Sharks I would use a terracotta pot. they already have a 1/2" hole drilled into it and is completely aquarium safe. You can even get java moss to attach itself to cover the top.
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.31(Mon)13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill probably just cap a pvc pipe, paint it and then drill the hole in the side and use that.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: