Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
So what do I feed them then?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveB(UK)
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.23(Sat)13:50    Post subject: So what do I feed them then? Reply with quote

I have two comets, the first was a prize at a fun fair the other we bought as the first seemed to be driving itself carzy with loneliness. They have spent their lives in a bowl, amazlingly they have reached the age of eight. Since my husband bought a tropical tank we have been made aware that a bowl is only good enough for the bin.
My two comets are now the proud owners of a 16 gallon tank with a filter and air line and have been there now for 3 weeks, and glad to say seem to be enjoying themselves. Ammonia 0, Nitrate 20 and Nitrite 2.0 pH 7.6 temp between 21 and 26, currently doing twice weekly water changes, how am I supposed to get the temperature down and keep it down?
The plan is to get a Moor but reading books and articles I can not decide what I am supposed to feed them. The comets have been on flakes all their lives and are now enjoying Daphnia, tubifex worms and veg. I have read that if fancy fish have flakes they get swim bladder which is almost incurrable. Is it OK to switch comets to a constant diet of non flakes? All recommendations gratefully received.
nl27
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.23(Sat)21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 16 gallon tank is way to small for 2 comets. They can easily grow to about a foot. how big are yours now? if they have spent 8 years in a bowl then thier growth is probably stunted. a single black moor should do good in a 16 gallon though. also, I heard that it is not a good idea to mix comets with slow moving goldfish like black moors., because the comets nip them or somthing like that.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.23(Sat)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, comets could use a much larger tank-or a pond. Black moors are handicapped by all the traits(or deformities...depending on how you look at it) bred in and therefore would hardly get anything to eat amongst a group of fast moving comets.

IMHO While a single blackmoor could do well in that tank, it would be rather boring with nothing to interact with. Different kinds of fish if you want to add more will surely fill the bill there.
DaveB(UK)
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.24(Sun)4:09    Post subject: So what do I feed them Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your input. Both comets are 3 inches, they are both beautiful long finned fish, one orange on white. The plan is to get a pond, but was is in the future. I have seen on other sites picutes of peoples tanks, and many of them seem to hold many fish, so it would appear they are over stocked. I have read people say it doesn't really matter how many you have so long as you have a good filter, air lines etc. Advice is varied and it is difficult to know what is what.
Will my comets start to grow again now? It looks like the pond is going to have to be sooner rather than later now. It is such a shame pet shops sell comets for tanks without giving infomation about their future.
I really want to do the best for my fish after their very poor start. Will it be OK to keep them in the tank over this winter, until the pond is sorted? Is there anything specific about the size of the pond I only have a small garden with an area of about 15 feet by 15 feet of grass.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.24(Sun)22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one thing is to make it deep. Preferably 4-5 feet at the middle.

Size is up to you...but the bigger the better.

Tank size does matter, even a good filter cannot keep up with an overstocked tank.

One possibility would be to get yourself a 50 gallon trashcan and fill that with water for the 2 comets.
DaveB(UK)
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.25(Mon)10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much nonamethefish.
Guess what my next project will be!!!!! And then I'll get a moor.
Guess I've got some research to do. Oh and some digging.
jackie
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.04(Thu)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same situation. bought two fancy goldfish, upgraded from a bowl (they were only there for two weeks), to a 20 litre tank. which I now know is too small. one of them did die, so looking for a new home for my one. Crying or Very sad

am looking for new solution... the trash can idea is great, but I would like something a little more "pretty" that I can put on my rooftop terrace.? any ideas?
Eiti Yamasaki
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.04(Thu)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
Well, one thing is to make it deep. Preferably 4-5 feet at the middle.

nonamethefish,
depth of tank is less important than superficial area. If you haven't enought superficial area, incresing tank's depth may not help a lot. Superficial area of tank is the most important measure for keeping goldfishes. In Japan, ranchuus are breed in 55x43x10 inches (60x47x14" - "king size") tank...

Regards,
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: