Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anybody have fantails in their pond?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)0:15    Post subject: Anybody have fantails in their pond? Reply with quote

I have regular goldfish and a comet or two in my pond outside. The pond is 15 feet circumference, and 4 feet deep. I am thinking of getting some fancy goldfish because all of the goldfish breed a lot in the pond. We also have little critters that somehow get into the pond and do the hunting to stay alive and help keep the population down. I want fantails to get some baby fantails. How do you think they would do?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, first off, fantails in an outdoor pond get eaten much sooner than their long-bodied brethren.
secondly, you wouldn't get baby fantails. IF 2 fantails breed, the amount of fry that are fantails is often 25-50%...but those fry will be eaten by thier brothers, because they are slower.
you need a more controlled environment to breed fancies.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had fantails, comets, and Koi in my pond, and everything survived and did really well accept the fantails, they were all dead within 2 weeks, some were killed, others just fell to disease and starvation, I think the comets and Koi outcompeted them. You could try fantails in a pond as long as it is isolated from the natural world, (no predators) that way they only compete with each other and that could work. But since you have other fish and natural predators I would just stick with the comets and other faster goldfish that can survive without being constantly protected by you.
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.30(Sun)1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food wouldn't be a problem nor would cannibalism. They have so much algae and what not that that is all they eat. No fish have been killed in the past year, so I may just try it or get a big baby pool (deep enough) and put some in there to see how they do and cover it with a net.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.30(Sun)22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have ONLY fantails in there, and TONS of plants on one end for cover, you'll probably do very well. The goldfish spawn in early spring when rising temps trigger them too, so don't put them out too late, or you might miss the spawning season (acclimate them slowly, however, you don't want to shock them.) Depending on your region, spawning season might be now or in a few weeks.
You'll need heavy plant cover (I suggest elodea, a food source and shelter), so that the fry can hide, and you may want to try to cull early to weed out single tails.

PostPosted: 2003.03.31(Mon)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

baby pools are known to have algaecides embedded into the plastic, so if you use the baby pool, you'd have to line it too.

-t
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.01(Tue)23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three pools full of fantails, but all they ever produce is comets. Alas, to get fantails, you have to really work at it.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.01(Tue)23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

probaby they do produce a few fantails, but the fantail babies get eaten immediately.
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.07(Mon)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I didn't know fantails could produce spawn other than Fantails. I was thinking about getting a big plastic pool (3ft deep and really wide) and putting in some fantails over the summer ( I have none now) and then they will be fine in the winter cause I will throw in a heater to keep it warm enought for them and then in the spring next year they will be ready to span. I wll have TONS of plants, in there and cover it with a screen so nothing can get in or out. Oh well, it will be a very large project.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.09(Wed)22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantails are a variety of "fancy" goldfish. Goldfish do not breed "true", they constantly tend to produce a percentage of "fancy" fry and a percentage of "normal" fry. Usually the body shape is similar, but very often less than 50% of the tails will be fantailed or doubletailed or whatever mutation you're aiming for.
Over successive generations, you'd eventually get all plain goldfish. So breeders cull ruthelessly and early when breeding fancies.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: