Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
zebras or neons for a 12 gallon??
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkwolf
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

rijac, you are correct in your assumption regarding rummys, at least in my experience. Mine come to the top whenever someone stands in front of the tank (hoping for food!), but spend the majority of the rest of the time in the lower 1/2 of the tank, but then I have a fairly tall tank. Of my hatchets, 90% of the time 5 of the 7 will be tightly schooling at the very top (I mean millimeters under the surface) while 2 of them seem to like the dead center middle of the tank (top to bottom, back to front, side to side, I mean middle!). Only bad part is you can only see the ones at the top by sitting down or bending over! Occasionally a 1 or 2 of them will get frisky and start playing in the current that runs down the front of the tank and will let it push them all the way down to the substrate, and they will stay down there playing "tag". Not sure if this is some kind of mating or not, too hard to sex hatchets. Usually my rummys or SAE comes barging in and the hatchets quit their play and swim back up to the surface.

One strange thing: every morning when the light comes on 4 of them will be in that center part of the tank in a perfect side by side line, all facing the back of the tank. If I go to one end I can usually actually get in a position where the first one completely blocks my vision of all bu the edges of the fins of the other 3. Confused
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatchets were my first thought but the tanks too small... 20g .... need something smaller... unless there are 'dwarf' versions which I don't think there are...

hmm.. decisions decisions... Laughing
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if you put 3 or 4 in. Don't forget these guys will ONLY be occupying the top levels of the tank. Depending on what else you are putting in you should be OK.
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.21(Thu)1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress wrote:
Not if you put 3 or 4 in. Don't forget these guys will ONLY be occupying the top levels of the tank. Depending on what else you are putting in you should be OK.

oh kewl!

so I'll end up with:

3 or 4 hatchets (*not to self, cover the top of the tank!)
10 neons (thinking of adding 5 more... though not totally necessary)
3 corys
3 otos

could I possibly put 2 rams in?

and I'll have to move the goldies out of course...

thanks for the input...
BrazilNut43
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.21(Sun)3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I LOVE neons. my little lonesome neon died yesterday (WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH) he raised my little baby bullied-almost-to-death guppy and they (neons) are so gentle. SO cute and SO resilient. my neon got fungus several times, I didn't use medicine and I didn't feed him, it just all cleared up after a couple of days. also, they have trouble eating flakes, so I searched for granulated tropical fish food and couldnt find any, then I started using fry food that I had in preparation for my gups. he liked them, so thats what I fed him.
Wink Very Happy

tHe woRst waY To MisS somEoNe Is tO Be siTtinG riGht neXT To tHem, KnoWing yOu caN't hAve thEm
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.22(Mon)5:27    Post subject: My 2c... Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents...

I have 4 widow tetras and 5 zebras in my 10G. A while back the danios were driving the tetras mad, they were all hiding under my bogwood and in the back. I sorted this out by just getting more plants (a variegated hygro, which is just about taking over the back of the tank!! Laughing *tears hair out*) But my tetras are now more secure and aren't bothered by my biosterous guys, who mostly hang out in the filter outflow when they're not playing 'tag''

I'm biased, but I'd go with the zebras - love those little guys.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: