Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
zebras or neons for a 12 gallon??
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qdaddy900
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.18(Mon)21:01    Post subject: zebras or neons for a 12 gallon?? Reply with quote

I'm into the final stages of deciding my schooling fish for a 12 gallon tank that currenlty only houses a betta...
I'm leaning towards neons (6-Cool or zebras (4-6). my water parameters seem better suited to zebras (78 F, medium hard, 6.8-7.0 pH) but I remember them being very overactive and possibly a nuisance to the betta...any final thoughts on which one to choose?
Moondreamer
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.19(Tue)13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally pick the neons..but it really up to you. Pick what you want, it's your tank afterall.
Darkwolf
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.19(Tue)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danios are more likely to pick on your betta, in my opinion. From what I have read, they are more likely to be aggresive in a smaller tank, hence the lack of them in my tank (they were considered). While they are OK in a 10 gal, I wouldn't consider less than a 30 long for them.

There are a lot of discussion regarding community tanks for bettas, including the sticky at the top of the fishes in inverts section. That said, experiences vary. If you decide to try it, my advise is to keep an alternative available for the Betta or be prepared to take the comunity fish back if it doesn't work out.

But that is just my opinion, as I said experinces vary.
Ditsy
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.19(Tue)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra Danios nipped at my Bettas fins ... and I ended having to house him elsewhere.

I didn't have any problems with the standard red/blue neons.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.19(Tue)20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

neons should also be best due to the fact that a 12g is really not big enough for boistrous danios. the really need more room to swim and do best in longer tanks.
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress wrote:
neons should also be best due to the fact that a 12g is really not big enough for boistrous danios. the really need more room to swim and do best in longer tanks.

and if I'm not mistaken zebras don't really school, my sense is they are like guppies - all over the darn place! Laughing
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree I have 4 daninos and they hardly ever shoal and the same thing goes for my neons they swim near eachother but will often go off one their own. personally I think the only way to ensure your neons shaol would be to have a larger fish in the tank that dosen't see neons as food but still has that "RUN for you lives" effect. just my 2 cents

andrew
2 winged demons
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, many schooling fish don't school extremely tightly unless they have a larger fish in the tank with them. Danios, neons and cardianls are like that. If you want a really tight schooler, go with rummynoses. They are awesome little fish.
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a related topic.. any suggestions for schooling fish that hang out at the higher levels of the tank? I notice my neons stick to mid and lower levels (probably due to the safety of the plants and driftwood, but top of tank is quite empty (accept for the darn 'visiting' goldfish)... I was thnking buenes aires tetras... or black tetras...

(I presume rummy noses would be mid and lower level schoolers too... else I'll put those in..)

any comments? thanks
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.20(Wed)10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the size of the tank I would go with hatchetfish. They are great top swimming schoolers that are way too interesting to look at for their own good.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: