Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Discussions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most of what needs to be said has been said, I just want to focus on one particular passage:

LBC wrote:
I believe if this is the way the board has to be run then it should be clearly stated in a "Terms of Use" policy or privacy statement, letting the members know that they can and will be tracked for whatever reason the owner and staff of this site wishes.

If you wish to be so protective of your privacy, then the least you need to do is carefully read the "Terms of Use' you're criticizing before clicking on "I agree". This whole discussion may not have been necessary if you had done so. Here's a paragraph from the Terms of Use you agreed to when you registered with this board on November 7th:

Quote:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

Considering that the above is the STANDARD text included in the phpBB2 package and just about any other board script package running on the net, it should result pretty obvious to anyone that monitoring IP addresses and reserving the right to interfere with topics as the moderation sees fit is a STANDARD, necessary part of running a message board. So if you have a problem with that, I honestly suggest you create your own fish board and waive this practice on it...we'll be glad to send some members your way whenever we believe they don't fit in here...
LBC
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Talk about pie in the face...

No problem at all with that Marcos, this policy is fair and I agreed to it when I joined. I also don't want to start my own fish website, this one does me just fine.

In a way its a good thing I brought this subject up. First, it brings awareness to members, like me, who are perpetually unaware of their rights regarding use of this board. And B, it solidifies the fact and reasonable term that you won't "refer" any of the said stored information to any third party without the members consent.

Thankyou Marcos for showing me the light. Maybe the TOU can be a permanent link at the bottom of the page, perhaps next to the Site Map button?
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote above is one of only 3 short paragraphs that pop up right in the face of any visitor beginning registering on the board. It's not like it's a "Microsoft" TOU that takes 3 hours just to read, plus 3 days to understand. If people don't read those 3 paragraphs even when it's right in front of them, it's very unlikely that out of their own initiative they'll click on a link to read it.

Anyway, I hope the issue is closed now and we can return to the more amicable and less litigious atmosphere that characterizes our board.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more litigation, Marcos? Does that mean I can't sue AoA for making me care about my fish! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Goodbye millions!

Again, Marcos, you don't hear it often enough how great this site is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: 2004.11.30(Tue)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second taratron! great site. when I first came here I don't know if I just didn't notice the hostility...but it seemed like a friendly place...has anyone noticed that a lot of people are taking offense to advice given, or responses to said advice?
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.30(Tue)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why I showed up as a guest up there Confused thought I was signed in. also had a question since I'm not that technologically advanced...what is trolling?
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.30(Tue)22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a person that just comes along to start trouble. I'm sure everyone here who has been on forums long enough finds them sooner or later. We get our own share of trolls and unfortuanately have to spend a considerable effort dealing with them and the posts they make.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.30(Tue)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

like that guy who fighted bettas with his friends. he made me sick to my stomach it was basically a legal(should be illegal) cock fight with fish.

andrew
2 winged demons
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.30(Tue)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

pheww. glad I'm not a moderator Smile . seems like its a stressful job...kudos
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: