Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Grrr!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.26(Fri)13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter, who also is three, has had a fish tank in her room since she was about 3 months old. She knows not to touch the glass and even now helps out when I do waterchanges. She's learning to be responsible through me. She also watches when I clean our cats litter box and she now helps to feed them.

If a child wants a pet, it's up to the parents to be involved. If the parents can't or won't be involved, they shouldn't have anything to do with it and the kid should wait until he's of age to purchase his own pet. Then the onus is on him. Nuff said.
Georgiadawgger
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.11.27(Sat)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course all of the "State and county" fairs should stop giving away feeder goldfish as prizes (they still do!!) since they won't last more than a week in a fishbowl!!
Tetralover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.27(Sat)21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of one of those fair gold fish living in a tiny bowl and the mother said "I wish the thing would die so I wouldn't have to keep feeding it" she told me she never changed the water hoping the death would occur. Well, guess what, I know her babysitter and the babysitter told me that every time she babysits her kids and the kids go to bed she changes the fish's water, because she feels sorry for the poor little thing! Laughing So amazingly the fish has lived for a year now! Not long for a goldie and I wish the poor fish had a better home but at least the babysitter is sneaking in the water changes a few times a week!
kelpy
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.28(Sun)0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK they have banned those goldfish at fairs in the little pots why can't they do that here?
Puresouthern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.28(Sun)1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelpy wrote:
In the UK they have banned those goldfish at fairs in the little pots why can't they do that here?

Everytime a certain area has one aquarium sales go up. I can't tell you how many people I have run across in the last month all buying 10 g tanks or so for there carnival fish there kids just won.

I would lay odds on it that the aquarium industry is aware of this and if anyone tried it there would be a large battle. Unlike the forest and the owls, goldfish arent rare, I very much doubt people are gonna want to take on that battle outside the hobby.

Most outside the hobby would probably view it as fish "geeks" trying to hurt an industries economy.

The best way to handle it is if your school or church decides to go this route, if your in a position to talk them out of it. Explain why. If a lot of hobbyist do this in there community the effect will be felt anyway and more will get educated. JMO
weejoy
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.28(Sun)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

animal rights exists on a whole 'nuther realm in the UK Wink
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: