Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Grrr!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDivineGoat
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.12(Tue)8:14    Post subject: Grrr! Reply with quote

I was chatting to my sister last night. telling her about my long terms plans for my tank, and just chatting about fish in general.

She then proceeds to tell me about some friends of hers who are planning to buy a gold fish for their three year old daughter, and let it die within a couple of months to delibrately upset her. Their thinking is that after that experience she won't want any more pets. My sister found this funny.

Please tell me I am not the only one who finds this a really dispicable thing to do to the child and the fish?

If you don't want her to have pets, (and there is so much evidence to prove how beneficial it is for children to grow up with pets) just say no when she asks for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.12(Tue)10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice... "fixing" a child by tramatization because they are irresponsible. your not the only one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dan0504
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.12(Tue)10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I can't belive that a person killing a fish to turn someone off to them wow Mad it makes me angry Mad well I was reading this thing about a bar that has goldfish races

"During the fish race, bar patrons shoot streams of water behind their fish with squirt guns to urge them to swim faster to the finish line. The fish swim in long, trough-like lanes inside the bar"
MollieA

well that is not to good
anyways back on topic not cool
Dan
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.12(Tue)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely, why don't they just up the ante and do it to a dog. At least then they can be arrested for animal cruelty. Apparently they don't subscribe to the thought, "Every life is precious." What's going to happen when she wants a brother or sister? Have one and then kill it off too? Just don't get the kid a pet, enough said.
NOAH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.12(Tue)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you huntress,That gripes my butt. I my self don't get along with most pets,mainly because most of them want stay inside(exception of fishes of course). Anyway, I still want my girls two want pets, but if they do, I want them to learn to take care of their pet or it's gone.Thats really just mean. Mad
TheDivineGoat
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.12(Tue)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say their eldest is a prime example brat, so they're obviously doing a good job of raising their daughter in their image.

The thing that annoyed me, (aside from the huge cruelty issue) was that my sister couldn't understand why I was so disgusted. She was telling me because she thought I'd find it funny. Never has our humour been so far apart...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
weejoy
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.25(Thu)15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

warped.

on so many levels.

"Their thinking is that after that experience she won't want any more pets. "

all the underlying assumptions suck:
a) that its an undesirable trait for a kid to want a pet
b) that eradicating that trait is beneficial to the kid.
c) that parents have the right to attempt to orchestrate the kids feelings in order to engineer the desired effect.
d) that they think their crude methods will work
e) that they will unneccessarily kill a living creature

these parents sound like they are doing a fine job in teaching their kids to be callous assholes like them. pity for the rest of us.
travis simonson
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.26(Fri)8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibly ignorant and self-serving thought processes. They would make B.F. Skinner proud.
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.26(Fri)11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something that happened at work. These people came in with the two most obnoxious kids I've ever seen (screaming "where's Nemo", tearing through the aisles...). The mom asked me what kind of fish she could put in a 5 gallon tank that would be cheap and hardy. I asked how cheap she wanted the fish and her reply was "Oh, something under two dollars b/c everything I buy for them dies b/c they won't stop tapping on the glass". Call me crazy, but wouldn't you normally try and teach your kids not to tap on the glass, or maybe stop buying pets for them until they learn how to take proper care of them? I wish I could refuse to sell fish to people if they were just going to kill them, but the boss-man doesn't like that...

Byez! Very Happy
Puresouthern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.26(Fri)12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the parent of a 3 year old daughter that is just SICK!! We were gonna get a tank, we opted against it because while she has gotten really good at remembering that fishies need to get fed she really hasn't grasped she can't "pet " them. (ares will come up to nibble on her) We got her a kitten which even at 3 we are making HER feed to learn responsibility. She has to help brush her and eventually the litter box will fall to her.I don't understand the concept that I don't want my child to have pets so I will traumatize her. When we couldnt have a cat because of our dog I simply told her NO. I would never dream of traumatizing her. She wants a rabbit.....it was real easy NO. That is just sick!!
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: