Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Protecting HARDWOOD floor when setting up a tank...
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
godzilabob
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)12:09    Post subject: Protecting HARDWOOD floor when setting up a tank... Reply with quote

Hi there...brand new hardwood...and I know from the past that there can be problems w/ leaks...splashing during water changes etc...
IS THERE ANY WAY to make sure that the hardwood is protected? can anything be built like a plastic something or other that 'encompasses' the stand and 'catches' any water that may leak or overflow or anything???
Its brand new flooring and water would kill it!!!
thanks for any suggestions...
Dan0504
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

maby just put some waterproof selant on the floor or I just layed a towel down on the floor duringw ater changes and promptly wipe all water up
Dan
godzilabob
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)19:18    Post subject: thanks... Reply with quote

I was referring more to "leaks" rather than "splashes" during h20 changes...
Surprised)
Dan0504
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

o sorry well whats leaking if its your tank well Exclamation yeas buy some plastic at a hardware store put it under I don't know of any stuff made for that purpose but.... idk how you can lift that tank if its full?
Dan
Jeff Zirul
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your floors are truly hardwood, they should be finished with a sealer and a top coat. This will protect them from water damage. This is what I have in my house, freshly refinished maple floors. I just make sure to have a scrap of carpet on the floor where I set my bucket. After making my mess, a quick wipe with a towel and all is well.

If you have pre-finished hardwood floors (the finish is already on the wood before it is laid down) you will have to be careful of water getting into the joints. Lay a towel under a scrap of carpeting and all should be well.

If you have hardwood laminate, it is already waterproof, and you really don't have to worry beyond wiping the water up.

Hope this helps.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: