Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY brine shrimp and fish food..
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puresouthern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.10(Sun)9:56    Post subject: DIY brine shrimp and fish food.. Reply with quote

Hi I have been reading up this morning on DIY fish food and brine shrimp hatcheries. I'm seriously considering this. I've printed out some stuff on it. I have several questions though....1) the water for the brine shrimp? 2) veggies for food..can they be left overs? Or frozen or canned or doesn't matter??

Does anyone here do this? What are the benefits??

Thanks in advance
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) dechlor tap water and add salt meant for salt tanks.

2) Personally I would avoid can foods. Left overs should be OK if there is no spices, butter, salts, etc.

I just frozen veggies in a blender with other fish foods or deli fish. Then pour into icecube trays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Puresouthern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irons wrote:
1) dechlor tap water and add salt meant for salt tanks.

2) Personally I would avoid can foods. Left overs should be OK if there is no spices, butter, salts, etc.

I just frozen veggies in a blender with other fish foods or deli fish. Then pour into icecube trays.

Thanks Irons appreciate you getting back to me. Very Happy

Ever try raising your own brine shrimp??

What are the benefits to your own fish food??
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying to feed such that you need to grow the brine shrimp from babies to adults? Baby brine shrimp are jammed pack with nutrience as they still have yolk sacks attached. As the animal matures it's less and less "bang" for your buck. I suspect it'd be hard to justify the space and time for growing them out when compared to buying frozen adult brine shrimp sheets. For raising fry though, nothing beats a live baby brine shrimp.

I know Irons has experimented quite a bit with homemade foods. I use two kinds. I use a homemade beefheart recipe that I buy from another local hobbyist frozen. It's got carefully de-veined beefheart, daphnia, multi-vitamins, garlic, spirulina, some jars of babyfood, and some other misc goodies I"m sure I'm forgetting. The pros are it puts on AWESOME growth. Nothing I've worked with matches it. The cons are it's very expensive when compared to staple food and spoils the water faster.

The veggie food I make myself is made with an agar base. Agar is similar to gelitin, but instead of being animal-based it's seaweed-based. I grind up zucchini, peas, cucumber, carrots, lima beans, broccoli, garlic, and spinach into a paste. To that I add a crushed human multi-vitamin, spirulina (enhances blues), astaxanthin powder (awesome natural color enhancer for reds), and grown marigold flowers (enhances yellows.) Again...advantages are it's a better quality food than you can buy but it's expensive and breaks a part in the tanks more than staple food.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia wrote:
What are you trying to feed such that you need to grow the brine shrimp from babies to adults? Baby brine shrimp are jammed pack with nutrience as they still have yolk sacks attached. As the animal matures it's less and less "bang" for your buck. I suspect it'd be hard to justify the space and time for growing them out when compared to buying frozen adult brine shrimp sheets. For raising fry though, nothing beats a live baby brine shrimp.

I know Irons has experimented quite a bit with homemade foods. I use two kinds. I use a homemade beefheart recipe that I buy from another local hobbyist frozen. It's got carefully de-veined beefheart, daphnia, multi-vitamins, garlic, spirulina, some jars of babyfood, and some other misc goodies I"m sure I'm forgetting. The pros are it puts on AWESOME growth. Nothing I've worked with matches it. The cons are it's very expensive when compared to staple food and spoils the water faster.

The veggie food I make myself is made with an agar base. Agar is similar to gelitin, but instead of being animal-based it's seaweed-based. I grind up zucchini, peas, cucumber, carrots, lima beans, broccoli, garlic, and spinach into a paste. To that I add a crushed human multi-vitamin, spirulina (enhances blues), astaxanthin powder (awesome natural color enhancer for reds), and grown marigold flowers (enhances yellows.) Again...advantages are it's a better quality food than you can buy but it's expensive and breaks a part in the tanks more than staple food.

I'm not trying to grow them to adults. I was reading about several DIY foods. And found the shrimp one. Supposedly right after HATCHING you collect them do a couple of other things and put them in ice cube trays just like the ones you buy......::::shrug::: was just curious if anyone was doing this.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.12(Tue)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I misread your first post and thought you were trying to feed your brine shrimp and raise them to adults for live food.
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.09(Sun)19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in some article that dechloring the tap water for BBS Hatching is not needed and that the chlorine actually brought them higher yields of BBS.

Any opinions on this?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: