Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A Yellow Tang with a wound
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.08(Fri)16:52    Post subject: A Yellow Tang with a wound Reply with quote

A while ago, I moved my tank out of my house with all my fish and everything because I had a flood around the tank (it wasn't the tank though) and I just got my tank back a few days ago. I was just watching them last night and I noticed that my Tang had a white kind of thing coming out of the top side of his lips. I checked it again today, the white stuff isn't coming out any more but now there are like 2 red dots like blood on the white. He still eats and swims normally. Did he just get damaged while I was moving him back? My domino damsel which is never aggressive to my yellow tang because of his size was in the same bag as my tang. Did he maybe nip him there or something. Will he heal on his own or do I have to go get him some medicine? It does not look like a parasite, it isn't ich or anything like that, it just looks like a nip. The butterfly I used to have got something that resembled this but on his side.

By the way, my water parameters are all perfect. My ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all 0, salinity level is 1.024 (for the coral I got after the butterfly) and the p.H. is 8.2.
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.09(Sat)4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if your Tang may have had an injury and now has Mouth Fungus.

They start of as off white to greyish marks and on the mouth they tend to look like cotton woolly growths.
Mouth fungus however tends to have a more granular look and tends to be more dcoarse looking than true fungus.

The bacteria for this type of infection is usually commonplace in tropical aquariums on dead organic matter or even on the skin of healthy fish and will soon invade unhealthy or damaged skin and its surrounding area.

Another thing is that this type of FLEXIBACTER COLUMNARIS appears to be more contagious under hard water conditions as I see your tank is and also with high levels of nitrogeneous wastes, incorrect pH adn bad water quality, also it thrives more at temps above 68 degs.
Also a lack of Vit A in fish can aid the infection.
You could try Methylene blue or a good med like Melafix for this treatment. Also good husbandry goes a long way to help and as you said you have this it should clear up in no time.

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.09(Sat)15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. his wound is looking kind of better today, it isn't as visible as it was the past couple of days. I will still take him out of the tank and give him one of the medications you suggested, just to be 100% sure.

the p.H. is supposed to be somewhere between 8.2 and 8.4 and mine is 8.2 so it still should be OK and how could you tell that my tank has waste in it when I say that all my tests read 0. you cannot tell me my tank is dirty with that kind of readings.
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.10(Sun)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tang is completely better now, I didn't do anything to heal him and his lip is the way it used to be.
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmic, believe it or nor any good aquarist will tell you that your readings can be fine , BUT it does not mean your water is clean.

Now do not get me wrong, as you seem to have, I was only advising you of all the things that can cause MOUTH FUNGUS.

A. It may not have even been Mouth Fungus
B. I did not say you have bad water quality as any of the factors can cause this, as I said it is commonplace in aquariums even on healthy fishes skin.

If I am trying to help someone, as I am you, I like to give out ALL the details , not just some .

Good News about your fish and disease like this will clear up in good water quality without no med usually so, well done

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: