Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lionfish with large internal parasite!!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mraila
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.26(Wed)14:08    Post subject: Lionfish with large internal parasite!! Reply with quote

I have a lionfish with what seems to be an internal parasite, such as a tapeworm or something. The left side of the fish is bloated, and he doesn't eat much. I can see something moving in an S shaped pattern beneath the skin where the bloating is. Unfortunate, but fascinating. HELP! Exclamation
Pandora
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.27(Thu)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it could well be a parasite (there are saltwater tapeworms); another consideration is that the intestine could be knotted back on itself, causing a blockage (volvulus). Both will cause the enlargement. In general, tapeworms will not cause the animal to stop eating; it will continue to eat (sometimes even more than usual), but at the same time waste away and *lose* weight. The only thing I can suggest to you is to treat the food and water with an antiparasitic such as metrodiazole. This will be very hard on the fish, and I would use it only if you strongly believe it is a tapeworm still. If you believe that it is a blockage (more likely, I think personally), then starve the fish for at least a week and do water changes in between. The prognosis for either is not good, unfortunately.

http://www.fishpalace.org/
The Old Salt

PostPosted: 2003.04.01(Tue)0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piperazine is a very good drug for worms. You may need to get some from a veterinarian.
Your fish may simply have a hernia.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: