Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Red Slime Algae
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HermeJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.05(Tue)16:06    Post subject: Red Slime Algae Reply with quote

I can't seem to get rid of my red slime algae. I got some stuff to treat for it at my LFS, which seemed to work but then a week later it came back en force. It looks like it's starting to overgrow my coralline algaes. Does anyone know of any other solutions? Thanks

Specs: 55gallon, 45lb live rock, 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 royal gramma, 2 cleaner shrimps, and a bunch of hermit crabs and astrea snails.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.09(Sat)2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember what eats red slime aglae but my nano had it when it was cycling and then when the cycle finished it stoped growgin and died back. check your water parameters. if it is the water parameters that are off look into getting a skimmer or getting a small bit of calerpa to compete with the algae. my nano has both and very little algae problems. good luck with your tank!

andrew
2 winged demons
HermeJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.14(Thu)9:45    Post subject: Fixes... Reply with quote

I had read somewhere that red leg hermit crabs will actually munch down on it, I picked up a few but I'm not sure if they've had an impact. I asked around and got some suggestions, which included upping my calcium and my alkalinity which does tend to run a little low. the solution I got at my LFS is to use a low dose of erythromyacin over 5 days, however I tried the calcium/alkalinity fix work at that seems to be working.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.10.18(Mon)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of live rock.
Don't be discouraged my friend, their are many with systems more elaborate than yours who fight this battle with limited success.
In my experience, you will need to convert to a true reef system in order to have long term coraline success. As I have said before, those with FOWLR systems soon see their live rock become dead rock. You have two choices...

1.) Replace with cured fresh live rock from time to time, keeping your phosphate levels and DOC's down and slow the micros, cyanos etc. with specific inverts that feed on them. This is a solution usually requiring a moderate maintenance level for those who choose to focus more on fish. Seek to create a balance between beautiful fish and some live rock. Note, "balance" does not mean constant water changes; that can often increase phosphates even more... it means finding the natural limitations of your system--and, once found--leaving it alone for the most part, other than normal levels of care... resist adding that extra fish, etc... just leave it alone and enjoy it. This system can be very rewarding for you and healthy for your fish. Mix in a few coral replicas for additional color and a beautiful visual result.
or...

2.) Shift your system over to a true reef system. This will require that you become much more attuned to water quality and the various additives, lighting and filtration such systems demand. It can be done with great success, but it's a solution that requires an advanced level of maintenance and it's much less tolerant of errors. It's simple really, things either die or they grow, depending on the environment they are in. Reef keepers tend to focus more on the rocks and the things growing on them, less on the fish. In this way, they are more like horticulturists in my opinion, and for good reason; if a fish dies no big deal, but if the reef starts dying they have major problems. For those who like to tinker and fret, reefs are ideal. The demands of true reef systems are astonishing to many, and probably beyond the maintenance levels of most... but for those who are willing and able the rewards are no less than amazing.
Here are some links to ponder:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/totm/
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/maralgcidefaqs.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/corallinealg.htm
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: