Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
help...fish keep dying
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencer

PostPosted: 2003.03.26(Wed)12:32    Post subject: help...fish keep dying Reply with quote

HELP!!! I've been thru a bunch of fish in 55 gal saltwater tank. The last 3 victims where 2 common clownfish & a small regal tang. I thought it was my 2 damsels killing off the other fish(2 green chromis & a yellow tang). I removed them & added 2 clownfish and they made it past the 4 day mark ( a 1st for me). I then added a small regal tang. 3 days later the larger clownfish dies. then the tang dies later that night, & then the smaller clownfish dies the next nite. water tests out fine(nightly checks). I have also had it checked before I bought the fish. any ideas? I also have a cleaner shrimp, 2 green crabs, a brittle starfish, 5 blueleg hermits, & 2 anemones. could 1 of these be killing my fish? I asked the LFS about the tang & clownfish getting along & he said no problem. but when I called back after the tang died, he said the clownfish may have attacked the tang. right now I have no fish in the tank just the invertebrates. thanks.
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.26(Wed)13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably some more information would be helpful. A listing of stats: temp, specific gravity, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. Also how long has your tank been set up? Also a listing of the equipment in your tank should be helpful.

Also any symptoms before the fish die? Any markings after they are dead that might suggest that they are being attacked? Any signs of heavy breathing or maybe spots on their skin?

Just a few tips from what you have written so far, when adding fish, you should give it a few weeks before adding any more so that the tank can adjust to the newly added bioload. If you keep adding fish so quickly, an ammonia spike can occur, which would be lethal to fish. Also when you are having problems like this in a tank, it would be good to find out what the problem is before adding more fish and possibly commiting more fish to death.

Hope this helps. =)
spencer

PostPosted: 2003.03.26(Wed)15:01    Post subject: stats of tank Reply with quote

its a 55 gall tank. emperor 280 ( I know its undersized but it will have to do until I can upgrade), 2 15w lights, 2 powerheads (170 gph ea). 35 lbs. live sand, 25 lbs. live rock. pH is 8.3, temp is 76F, ammonia, nitrate, & nitrite are 0. tank has been running for almost 3 months.

here is the sequence of fish
6 damsels - 2 days after tank was setup(LFS suggestion), all but 1 died. died at 3-4 day intervals, 1 after another.

2 green chromies - 3-4 days 1 dies, 3-4 days the other 1 dies.

complained to LFS, was given 2 damsels. 1 died 3-4 days later, the other survived.

added a yellow tang ( from a different store) about 10 days later, he died 4 days later.

removed damsels, bought 2 clownfish from same store as tang. after a week, I added the regal tank (somewhere between a quarter & a half-dollar in size. slightly smaller than largest clownfish).

3 days later - larger clownfish is dead. that night the tang dies, the next morning the smaller clownfish dies. all the invertebrates are doing fine.

I saw some white areas on tang (definately not ich) but nothing on any of the other fish.

I know I need to uprgade filter but I would think it could handle 3 small fish.
I change 10% of the water every weekend.

any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.26(Wed)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your SG? How are you acclimating the fish after you purchase them? Possibly your tests are inaccurate. I believe usually in a FO tank, nitrates usually are present. Have you tried having the water tested at an LFS?

And as I mentioned in the previous post, is there any physical symptoms on the fish, that might indicate that another fish is attacking it? Or heavy breathing?

Was any of your equipment previously used? Maybe in a freshwater setting?

Do you use any sort of additives? How do you conduct your water changes?

And although it is probably not your main concern at this time, your tank is a bit young for the anemones. I am not sure if this is your first SW tank or not, but anemones are on the more difficult side to take care of and they need established tanks to survive for a long time.

Sorry to not be of much help yet. Maybe some more info will help.
spencer

PostPosted: 2003.03.26(Wed)21:37    Post subject: more info... Reply with quote

what is SG? I acclimate the fish by slowing added water from the tank to bag over a 30-45 min period. water change is done by siphoning aout thru a small hose & using a slow pump to add water(whole thing takes about a hour). what gets checked by both me & the LFS 20 min later. smae readings. no sign of fighting on fish & no heavy breathing. if I can't figure out what is causing the deaths, I will sell everything & walk away from this. I can't afford to buy 1 or 2 $30 fish every week. all equipment is new & SW use only. BTW, the anemones are doing great(purple tipped anemones).
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.27(Thu)0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

SG is the salinity reading for your tank. The amount of salt dissolved in the water.

Your SG should read between 1.022ish and 1.025ish.

What type of marine salt are you using and what type of water purification are you using.

Filtered water or tapwater with a de-chlorinator(I.e. stress coat or start right)?

are you putting in any additives at all?
spencer

PostPosted: 2003.03.27(Thu)9:05    Post subject: more info... Reply with quote

salinity is 1.023. I use water from LFS. He adds all the chemicals. I did put in some Kent's Marine Buffer about a month ago(followed instructions). I used "instant ocean" to start the tank up.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.27(Thu)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use the fish store's water to do the waterchanges? if not how do you do your waterchanges?
SPENCER

PostPosted: 2003.03.27(Thu)10:35    Post subject: MORE INFO... Reply with quote

IF I can't get already prepared water from the LFS, I use bottled water(reverse filtered, exposed to UV light) & add stress coat to it(per instructions). But that only gets used occasionally. I know only the damsels made it thru 2 water changes. some fish never even lived long enuff for 1 water change. some were added a day or 2 after a water change. some were added a day or 2 before a water change. same results. swim around for 3-4 days then died. and yes they were eating. I even added the regal tang & some brine shrimp at the same time so he would have something to eat & feel comfortable. he did eat & so did the clownfish. also fed the some brine shrimp to my convicts and they are still alive, so I don't believe it was the brine shrimp.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.03.27(Thu)12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

[here is the sequence of fish
6 damsels - 2 days after tank was setup(LFS suggestion), all but 1 died. died at 3-4 day intervals, 1 after another.

2 green chromies - 3-4 days 1 dies, 3-4 days the other 1 dies.

complained to LFS, was given 2 damsels. 1 died 3-4 days later, the other survived.

added a yellow tang ( from a different store) about 10 days later, he died 4 days later.

removed damsels, bought 2 clownfish from same store as tang. after a week, I added the regal tank (somewhere between a quarter & a half-dollar in size. slightly smaller than largest clownfish).

3 days later - larger clownfish is dead. that night the tang dies, the next morning the smaller clownfish dies. all the invertebrates are doing fine.

I saw some white areas on tang (definately not ich) but nothing on any of the other fish. ]

....it sounds like your tank was never cycled.

Honestly, your best bet is probably to return whatever is left alive. Then DO RESEARCH, read read and then read some more! Saltwater is not easy by any means.

I would also go to another LFS. But first off, read and read! Your tank is not doing well for several reasons, and I'm betting lack of cycling is one of them.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: