Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Thinking of building a cool setup in my garage if possible.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.07(Thu)9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia wrote:
Personally, I don't like the look of tanks scattered all through-out the house...not to mention the headache of dragging food and pythons to all the corners.

I thought the whole idea of keeping fish was to appreciate how beautiful they are , if like me, you want to keep a variety of fish , and not keep them in one room just for breeding purposes , which my breeding fish are kept in my fish room, then there is no better way to keep them than , all around the house .I presume you mean dragging food and syphons around the home.
I personally enjoy taking time out at night when the kids are in bed and daytime while in school and I am not in work to feed my fish from my hand and cleaning them out is easy as it is done so regularly it takes mins, as you said to do.

I appreciate that it is a large tank NWCICHLID is getting and a good idea in a garage if he is in there often , and all the fish are compatible , but I have fish in tanks around my house so that I can keep a variety of fish and they do not fight , all my tanks are harmonious and I believe that is the best way to keep fish.

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.07(Thu)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you kidea for correcting me, thats what I was thinking.. having only one female in the tank. yeah.. for me when I breed my gouramies, its by accident and its harder to raise the babies than to trigger breeding. for me, I keep my tanks in rooms I'm in often (2 in my bedroom 1 in dining room and my brothers is in his room). I keep them in those rooms because thats where I need to be calmed... the sound of the filters running and the fish slowly moving lulls me to sleep, and in the dining room I do my homework, so I can calm down for it.
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.09(Sat)3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Random , thinking on the same lines ..
My eldest son is 14 and he has a tank in his room also which we are upgrading to a bigger one soon.
I will have to bring him on here he is always asking about the discussions and he actually is starting to breed Killifish as he is also a member of our fish club ( the youngest) and a member is one of the founders of the BKA ( British Killifish Association) is bringing him along a new variety.

He would love to get some new info on these from someone

randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.09(Sat)7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats great Smile he's my age. I want to join a fish organization (the boston one is big) but my parents aren't too keen on me going to boston every month. (boston isn't exactly a safe city to be in at night) also boston is a 45 minute train ride from here. I can't believe how much I have learned from this forum since I started in this hobby (february).
Dan0504
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.09(Sat)9:45    Post subject: Agree Reply with quote

I have to agreee with randomrambler I'm 15 and got into this hobby around jult I already have 3 tanks!! and I learned do much from this forum theres a lot to lear I really want try to breed idk maby so thanks and I hope to find a fish organazation in new jersey btw I agree w/ Kideafish all my tanks are in my room I love wakeing up looking out of my bed and seeing my fish they all have personalities and are somthing that people don't realy get there not fish there PETS
Dan
luckyboy
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.09(Sat)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you ever find a club or organization in NJ. I am near Philly and would travel for a good one.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.09(Sat)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kideafish: Thats funny, I'm 14 too, and may be getting into killifish sometime soon as I've gotten into contact with a killi guy(30years experience with killifish). Unsure of what my first species will be, but I suspect N. kafuensis 'Mambova'. We'll see.

A "fish room" makes thing more efficient by taking tanks away fom places where people don't want them and making cleanup easier. All my tanks(total 4, 3 active) are now downstairs, 3 ten gallons sitting on a rack. No more spills on the bedroom carpet!(I once spilled about a gallon of water by tilting my bucket too much...luckily I turned the fan towards it and air dried it before my mum found out...heheh)
Dan0504
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.09(Sat)21:38    Post subject: fish room Reply with quote

I know exectaly what you mean were all in the same boat I think they need a teen fishkeeper forum I have 3 tanks and it woulb be nice to pu a fishroom in my basement I have the room I got 2 tanks in my room but its a pain I spill all the time on my carpet and ruin my dressers w/ water yeah go ahed build a fish room if I had the permition or money I would to
Dan
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.10(Sun)11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah as soon as we finish remodeling our basement, my parents are planning on getting me a nice big corner tank, or a bowfront!! my mom wants a 90 gallon bowfront, and my dad would be fine with a 55 gallon breeder... I like the wide tanks the most.. I can put more bottom feeders in them Smile I love cories. ill probably start a fish room down there too. its like a 30x20 basement and I could probably get a corner of it.
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)10:43    Post subject: Re: Agree Reply with quote

Dan0504 wrote:
btw I agree w/ Kideafish all my tanks are in my room I love wakeing up looking out of my bed and seeing my fish they all have personalities and are somthing that people don't realy get there not fish there PETS

You know nothing cheers me up more than hearing that people actually enjoy keeping their fish and having them as pets, my husband sometimes
looks at me as if I am daft the way I talk to them.
I call some of them ' my baby ' especially when they swim right up to the tank front nose to nose with me .

Perhaps I am daft !!!!!!

NONAMETHEFISH - A moderator at 14, you must be quite a whizz kid !! Well Done

Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: