Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Thinking of building a cool setup in my garage if possible.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWCICHLID
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.03(Sun)12:00    Post subject: Thinking of building a cool setup in my garage if possible. Reply with quote

I am thniking of building a decent sized fish room in my garage. the room would be well insulated in order to keep the water from getting too cold in the winter. It would take up about 1/3 of a 2 car garage and have a seperate door to get into the room. I would probaly get like a 200 gallon tank to put in it. The garage isnt really being used so it would probably be doable. the only thing is I really don't want to spent more than like 3 or 4 grand total(room+tank setup). what do you think?
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.04(Mon)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I would have a tank in a garage is if it was for breeding purposes adn I had no room in the house.

Why would you want a tank in the garage if it is just for keeping fish as you cannot see the beauty of it all the time if not in the house?

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.05(Tue)2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kideafish, when you get serious into fishkeeping and are trying to breed fish its not possible to keep like 20 10gal tanks everywhere for fry, a 200gal growout tank and obviously a variety of 40al to 90gals lying about for other prized fish all in your house!
gnakk, GO FOR IT!!!!!!! Very Happy
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.06(Wed)11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually ULtra I AM a fish breeder and breed Bettas, Angelfish, Killifish and Guppies ( Gups recently) and have been seriously into fish for quite sometime !! but is NWCHICLID ??

This is why , if you read, I put on there that someone would do this if they were a breeder only and not just keeping fish .

I have a variety of fish around my house including 3 x 40 gal tanks in my living room and 3 more in my kitchen and breakfast room for my ' prized fish ' alone..

I have a fish room and need not convert my garage due to the space I have in the house so you neednt tell me about breeding tanks etc. when I can only keep 1 male betta per tank so therefore need a room full of the things.

I was simply stating it would be a waste for someone just keeping these beautiful fish to have them in a garage not being seen too much and was therefore a question aimed specifically at NWCHICLID, as only HE can answer my question. Thank you very much !

pating
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.06(Wed)13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! thats a lot of tanks, kideafish! btw, just a quick question... how can you check the gender of bettas? I just bought a 10 gal. and am planning to breed bettas too. Smile are they same with the way how you check the gender of guppies?
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.06(Wed)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

male bettas have long flowing fins, and the females have shorter fins. most fish stores will label them and keep them in separate tanks. You cannot keep them in the same tank unless the male has a bubblenest and the female is showing some of the signs that she is ready (head down, belly full of eggs, verticle lines down her side) she should be showing at least 2 of those 3 signs. hope I helped Smile also kidea is a really good betta breeder so I would ask her for more info Smile *plug for kidea*
pating
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.06(Wed)21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks random. that helps a lot.
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.07(Thu)7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomrambler wrote:
also kidea is a really good betta breeder so I would ask her for more info Smile *plug for kidea*

Randomrambler you flatterer you!!

Thanks and the info you gave is spot on... except ( sorry) you can keep a male, if he is docile enough, in with females if there are more than around 3 females for him to focus his attentions on.
If he is an aggressor you are correct and he should not be kept with females, especially a lone female as death can often occur due to bullying and a breeding expectancy from him.
Again 'spot on ' with the signs for breeding with the female.

Pating , these fish love to spawn but getting the eggs to adult size is hard work , so all I can say is good luck , do not put a male betta into spawn in less than a 5 gal tank as I personally feel that the female has nowhere to hide away from him properly if he is too amorous.

Anything smaller will not bring out the best in your betta anyway.

As I always say to people that want to breed Bettas, when you get past the eggs in the bubblenest stage become ' free swimming fry ' then come back to us as, that is when your troubles start and you become foster dad.

Good Luck in your quest and enjoy yoiur betta, even if you breed with him/her enjoy them as a pet also, they are lovely fish with considerable personality

Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.07(Thu)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone I've known that has started seriously breeding fish (bettas perhaps being the exception since they can be kept in such a small space) has gone with a set-up similar to what you're suggesting, NWCICHLID. Fish rooms are wonderful things because they allow a centralized place for all the tanks that don't have to be "show quality." Water changes can become very easy, if not automated. Right now I have 35+ tanks set-up in a basement room and can change all of the water in less than 2 hours. I have a utility sink down there that a python stays connected too. I have shelving to hold all kinds of extra supplies. I have live food cultures away from the rest of the house so they don't ick people out. Personally, I don't like the look of tanks scattered all through-out the house...not to mention the headache of dragging food and pythons to all the corners.

Things to consider are:

1. Sturdy shelving that maximizes space. Make sure there's enough room to scoop fish out easily between the top of the tank and the next shelf. I've incorporated shop lights fastened onto the bottom of the shelves to illuminate the tanks and have liked that set-up a lot. That's assuming you want more than just the 200 gallon tank.

2. Insulation is your friend. It's often much more affordable to insulate the heck out of a room and then heat the room instead of individual tank heaters. However, this leaves you with a very warm room that you'll have to work in. I've had pretty good luck just insulating the tanks and can really tell a difference in how much the tank heaters have to work.

3. Humidity. This can be a real problem in fish rooms. If you have a lot of tanks consider ways to minimize or control it so that it doesn't damage the room you're working in.

4. Power. In the winter with the heating mechanisms running a fish room can suck up a lot of power. Make sure you have enough juice pumped into the area you're working in. Again...not a problem for a single tank but if you start getting a row of them it's something to consider.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.07(Thu)9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much guys! now I can go sneak my cousins betta out and find females for him. o0(I'm turning out to be a hooker here lolz) and I'm going to be a fatha
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: