Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bangaii Cardinal issues?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.01(Fri)19:08    Post subject: Bangaii Cardinal issues? Reply with quote

Hi I have a friend who wholesales fish and he says bangaii cardinals are doing bad and 1 in five survive for more than two months. Is this true? Can anyone verify that has recently purchased a bangaii cardinal? How much do they cost retail?
10 Gallon Planted
1 Chinchilla 1 German Shepherd
Assorted Reptile Species
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.10.24(Sun)19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I checked some other references about this species...
Bob Fenner says they are almost all captive reared now and the ones still collected in the wild are easily netted so you can usually discount cyanide.
It is possible to get a bad batch from a good source or a continuous stream of damaged fish from a poor source which may look good on arrival but doomed due to various conditions somewhere in the supply chain, including the shipper. There have also been large numbers lost to internal parasites,
here's a link with more info... several references as you scroll down.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/cardfaqs.htm
fish_first
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.13(Thu)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually your friends bad luck is not bad luck at all... it is the actual behavior of the fish. My best bet is they attacked eachother. That type of cardinal is highly aggressive to its conspecifics and only a pair or a single fish will survive the onslaught (the most dominant). Tell your friend to read up on his species before getting them. He might have better luck over-all. A book I recommend for compatibility purposes feeding purposes and tank size recommendations would be PocketExpert Guide: Marine Fishes.
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.15(Sat)19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not bad luck. He said that the island where they collect em is being overfished so they're going around the island. It's an entire two day trip so its the ammonia.
10 Gallon Planted
Assorted Reptile Species
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.16(Sun)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, that would do it... very sad.
I was a licensed collector of marine tropicals here in Florida years ago (weekend thing, not large scale) and I can tell you, handling is so important.
Most have no clue what wild caught specimens endure after they are brought in the boat; between the docks/airports/wholesaler/shipper/more airports/retailer, it's a real testament to just how hardy marine fish really are. I have opened entire boxed shipments that were left in the cold or heat for whatever reason by someone in the chain; NOT a pretty site and one you would never forget.
fish_first
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.20(Thu)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still say its thier behavior that is driving these fish to die. IMO... your friend has to do some research on his fish before he gets them... and maybe since these fish are one of the easier species to breed in captivity, he may want to try that in the future instead.
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.23(Sun)0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend is a professional aquarium servicer and he doesn't actually keep them. He has them at a warehouse where they are in large tanks with hundreds in the same tank.
10 Gallon Planted
Assorted Reptile Species
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.23(Sun)0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait. he has hundreds of bangaii cardinals in one tank. of course there going to kill eachother!

andrew
2 winged demons
fish_first
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.23(Sun)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

he doesn't sound too "professional" to me... The dominate fish will always kill the other fish until a territory can be established. These cardinals are very different from there cousin the Pajama Cardinal, they aren't peaceful toward eachother.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: