Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
opinion on de-icer
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piranha
Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.26(Sun)7:56    Post subject: opinion on de-icer Reply with quote

Which de-icer is better floating or sinking? Some choices I've looked at: Thermopond 100watt,Farm Innovator ice chaser 1250 watt,Winter Island 24 watt,Tetra 264026 150 watt.Will I get the same results with an energy saver model?Won't they stay on longer to maintain correct temps?

Last edited by piranha on 2004.09.28(Tue)14:15; edited 1 time in total
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.27(Mon)17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about a chiller??? De-ice means to thaw and that would require heat. Smile
piranha
Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.27(Mon)19:27    Post subject: De-icers Reply with quote

The products I am referring to are called de-icers.They are thermostatically controlled with a high limit switch at or around 40 degrees fahrenheit.This to prevent freeze over and allow noxious gases to escape and oxygen to enter.It simply would not make sense to heat a pond to warmer temps in the area I live due to harsh winters and energy costs .There are energy saving models that I would like to hear about from first hand users.They are Thermopond and Winter island. If anyone has used them I'd like to hear.Thanks for any input.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.28(Tue)14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh for a pond. Makes sense. Smile You should have specified. Thanks for the info though now I am informed.
Hellclan
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.06(Wed)8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

A floating one is better that way there isa hloe in the top of the ice
how ever you ahve to becare full that you do nto let snow pile on top of that
of there wise it is useless
aslo make sure that oyu have a good powersupllie and that water does not get in there othere wise you will ahve to reset the circuit( Embarassed )
btw if you don't it ownt your for the rest of the winter
aptasinskas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.11(Mon)14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what kind of fish you have in your pond, and their size, it would be a lot cheaper just to get a tank, but if there are Koi or something, then you would need what you are talking about
Oracle
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.12(Tue)8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH
how ever since he plans to over winter them there I presume his pond is really deep (5ft?) if this is your first winter with your pond you might want to make it is deep enough so that when it freeze then it will no t kill them
and if it is that deep then the fish are really pain in the @$$to catch if there small
but if there big the you will need a HUGE tank to store them in
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
piranha
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.12(Tue)17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pond is a small one with a few large comets .I've priced all different brands of de-icers and can't see how it would be cheaper to get a large tank for the winter let alone finding a place for it. Again if anyone has used the Thermopond 100 or Winter Island 24 I'd like to hear about them.I've read good reviews about the Farm Innovator Ice Chaser and if I use it with the thermocube it might be as energy efficient as the latter two.
Hellclan
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.13(Wed)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

how deep is your pond????
if it is not deep enough the fish will not over winter

hope this helps
http://www.sheridannurseries.com/GardenSite/subGARDENTIP19Bmainframe.htm#6

FISH, FROGS, & SNAILS:
Fish can be left in a pond if it
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.10.13(Wed)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your pond is deep enough, I would reccomend a floating de icer. A floating one will do the job of keeping a hole open in the ice. If your pond is too shallow (less than 4-5ft) than you may consider bringing the fish inside as Helician suggested.

If you can get ahold of I believe October Issue of AFM it has an article on building an indoor holding tank for overwintering koi and goldfish.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: