Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Clown
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.21(Tue)13:54    Post subject: New Clown Reply with quote

I got a percula clownfish the other day for my ten gallon set up, he is the only one in there right now, he is eating and doing very well. my question is, could I put a second one in or is one best. I have read that they should either be in pairs or singles but the petstore said that they like to be in groups, is the store wrong>? thanks for any help
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.21(Tue)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that the pet store is wrong because clowns do like to be kept in groups, pairs or singly. Since you only bought one though, I would not add another one. It is better to add a pair or small group all at the same time, they will fight and sometimes kill each other otherwise.

Since your tank is only 10 gallons, I do not recommend a group. In a 10 gallon, you could maybe get away with having 2 but I think 1 is best.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.22(Wed)6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could add anouther clownfish but make sure its bigger than the one you have so that while he is getting used to his new surroundings the original one can't bully him. also what are you feeding your clown? I have mine in a 7.5g cube and he dosen't seem to like much I offer him mysis, bloodworms, 2 types of flakes and pellets. hes subburn. anyway,

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.22(Wed)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, he looked lonely but I don't want any fights so ill stick with the one. umm I give him tetra marine flakes and I have some froazen brine shrimp somewhere in the freezer that I will try. I put the flakes at the other end of the tank away from the filter and that way he has the best chance to see and eat the flakes. when I put him in he ate all (hundreds ) of the lil copepods on the side of the glass within two days so yours might be nibbling on something else.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.23(Thu)6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

with a 10 gallon tank I wouldnt go with more then one for 2 you would need closer to a 20 gallon a good rule of thumb when starting is 1 inch per 5 gallons of water some go 1 inch per 3 gallons of water for saltwater. clowns do fine on there own or in pairs. in smaller tanks its not a good idea to go over 2 because of the space they can become very territorial and usually kill the 3rd one. if you have one and get a second its better to find a smaller one. clowns are all males when they establish dominince the most dominit one will become the bigger of the clowns and become the female.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: