Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Going on holiday
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.20(Mon)8:26    Post subject: Going on holiday Reply with quote

Hey there fellow fish-keepers

I'm going away for 3 weeks next month, I've organised a friend to come in and feed the fishies every 3 or 4 days. Rationale is that this will lighten the load on the filter until I get back; I'll do a 20% change before I go (normally 10% weekly). Lights for plants are on a timer.

Will my fishies be OK, being underfed and changed for that long? I'm a bit worried since I've yet to leave them and things have been going swimmingly. Very Happy
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.20(Mon)11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Fish can for periods of time without being fed. Another thing that you can do is get one of those food supplements that sit on the bottom kof the tank and the fish can eat when they get hungry. The con side of that is that fish may overeat and "bloat." Also those products can cause nitrogen buildup.

To answer your question, yes your fish will be fine. Smile
duzzie
Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.20(Mon)11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your fish shouldn't have a problem being fed every 3 or 4 days. It is better to under feed than overfeed. A lesser feeding frequency will encourage fish to follow their natural instict and search round the tank for food rather than just wait for you to feed them. Just make sure that the person feeding them knows how much to give them. The other alternative is to get an automatic feeder which will give them the amount of food you want them to get.
As for the water quality, do a couple of larger water changes, say 3 or 4 30-40% changes at 2 day intervals to bring the nitrate levels down as much as possible before you leave. Ask the person feeding the fish to have a quick check and net out any dead fish to prevent pollution. There is no hard and fast rules but the lower you can get the nitrate, the lower it will be when you get back and the less your fish will be stressed.

Duzzie.
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.09.25(Sat)18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a couple of those pill reminders at the drug store, the ones that have compartments for each day of the week. I put a miserly amount of food in each one and left it by the aquarium for the friend who was watching the house. I then hid the rest of the food in case she "felt sorry" for the "underfed" fish. I did a water change the morning I left and returned two weeks later to a happy aquarium.
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.11(Thu)7:56    Post subject: I'm back! Reply with quote

Yay people! Just got back from my 3 week trip, and all my fishies came through happy and healthy! I'm so stoked! My hygro was completely WILD, had overgrown half the tank - had to really do some aggresive pruning and replanting - but all looks good. Thanks for all the tips, guys.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: